Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Low Tuck Planche Hold

Wheelson

Hello all

I have a quick question about planche progress.

I tested my Tuck planche today for the first time in a while, and I'm able to hold with decent form for the first few static sets, but around the third or fourth my hips begin to sag to a few inches below shoulder height; however, I can hold it for a trainable amount of time.

Now with my other statics I started with holds that were either too high or too low as I progressed, and I can now hold a full back lever and straddle front lever with good form, but I've been wary of trying this method with Planche holds.

would it be a folly to train a SSC cycle with my planche holds a little low and then as my strength improves improve my body positioning during the next cycle?

My friend mike (a nationally ranked gymnast) has a full planche and recommend I just go for it as I did with my other holds earlier in the year, but this mental debate has prevented me from training my holds.

thoughts?

edit:my scap position is actually pretty good as I do partake in leans and planks.

Rik de Kort

From BtGB, section on tuck planche:

It bears re-mentioning however, that a correct tuck planche is executed with the hips shoulder high. Depending on your initial strength levels, it may take quite some time to reach this level of development. Simply continue working the position, striving to lift your hips to shoulder high. With consistent practice it is possible to increase your strength in static positions relatively quickly.

Joshua Naterman

Excellent quote.

Get the work in. The important thing is that the first two sets are done well, showing that you can actually do it.

You also, by the way, have the option of taking the second set to failure of good form, or even to a slow negative all the way back to straight arm support as you slowly lose position instead of doing 3-4 sets.

Not saying you should necessarily go that route all the time, but it's something to keep in mind. Just make sure you always start in the right position for those first sets and TRY to be lifting into the correct position when you can't actually hold it!

There's a difference between fighting for the right position but not being able to get there and just holding a lower position.

Thanks guys!

I've read all of the pre-reqs well after getting into this sort of training, soI guess I had a fear of not holding (specifically) the Planche positions corectly.

I did basically exactly what Josh described yesterday, and I feel I made more progress in my plache holds than I have the past 2 years...

I realize since I have a full back lever, I think my bicep tendons should be ready for tuck planche work, and my scaps are reasonably protracted. I guess perfection just has to come with time.

Hi

i'm still working on my planche.

For me it is important to start in the Right position.

Tne i try to hold it and then die hips go down.

Don't worry about that, when you geht stronger you will stay longer in the correct position