Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How much is too much?

Andrew Long

Andrew Long

Hej =)

I have been browsing the forums a lot and have noticed everyone seems to agree the more time spent doing handstands the better you will become which makes sense but I am wondering how much is too much? I know it would vary depending on currently ability ( I can hold a good handstand after a work out for 30 seconds with my hands only a few inches from the wall facing the wall although I haven't really tested my max yet) So basically how much is too much? If i were to spend 10 minutes every single day doing wall handstands would that reap the most benefits or should I do it several times during the day or maybe less days more time or more days less time? Not really sure about what is a good amount for good progress. I have seen a lot of people saying Ian does a tonne of handstand work and he improved very quickly but I never see how much he actually did. So yea any insight would be great thanks =) Maybe some advice such as "never done a handstand before then do this between ____ and ____. Or if you have a bit of handstand experience then do this _____.

thanks all =)

P.s. sorry if that post makes no sense I am dead tired and basically just spilled thoughts from my head onto here without trying to word it in a more comprehensible way.

Andrew Long

so basically just do it until its uncomfortable or I feel to weak then take a bit of a break?

Yep, I recommend that most people can start with somewhere between 5 to 15 minutes of just skill time working on Handstand stuff. Kicking up to HS, wall HS, presses, etc.

Basically it's do 2 or 3 attempts at kicking up to HS. Rest 15-20 seconds. Repeat

Presses somewhere between 15-50 attempts depending on the individual.

Most people can start easily with about 2-3 minutes of HS volume broken up. Kind of depends on the necessary amount of repetitions. If they could only hold a wall HS (at any angle) for 20s, I would have them work 10-15s HS. 6 reps is good for beginners and maybe only a few more after that. 6x15=90 which is fine.

I can probably only hold a wall HS about 90s to maybe 2m if I tried it fresh and pushed myself. Most of the time I try I'm not fresh at all but I can pretty much do worksets of 45-60s and probably 5-7 of them.

I find the HS WOD pretty doable at 30s on 45 off. Of course after 12 attempts, it tires you out. For many beginners, I start off with 3-4, maybe 5-7.

What becomes a limiting factor is basically the wrists but for some the elbows and shoulders. Elbows especially if there is natural hyperextension in the elbows and they are weak in the upper body. Quite often an issue with the female gymnasts.

Andrew Long

ahh thanks for the detailed rep;y blairbob =). my main limiting factor is the traps tend to fail and i sink down before anything else gives... as for wrists well I have an issue that can only be fixed by surgery so I do pretty much everything on my knuckles. would like to do it on my fingertips but have no idea how I would even begin training for that. Ok well I guess I'll try 2-5 minutes of time in the handstand each day with some skill/balance work thrown in and see how I go. I look forward to trying the wall runs once I am a bit more proficient. Tried them once and loved them but I know I probably should keep that move very limited until I can hold at least a minute from what I have read.

Thanks again for the replies guys =)