Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Please judge my Support Hold RTO

Patrick Van de Glind

Patrick Van de Glind

I am unable to hold the Support Hold RTO for 30 seconds (15s max)

while this is an important basic move, so I was wondering, maybe I am doing something wrong

which makes my Support Hold difficult or 'impossible'

The video contains 2 shots, 1 front and 1 side.

l9H1ozGPnig

Thank you!

ps: I know the MU doesn't look like much either.. in the first shot I almost didn't make it because I didn't pullup high enough

Daniel Burnham

Nothing too outrageous going on from what I see. It seems that you simply lack the strength to hold it. Try working higher volumes on parallel bars or some suitable subsitute with perfect hollow form.

There are two main problems that made me come to this conclusion. Firstly you are not able to hold a neutral hollow position. You are looking slightly up to create a curvature in the upper spine. This is one of the first things that people do to try and make the movement easier. Secondary to this and not as important at this stage is that it looks like you are resting your forearms on the top of the rings. This is something I discovered I do as well. After you build the requisite strength to hold the position with a neutral spine (hollow) then work on seperating the ring from your forearm.

It may also be helpful to take note of your scapula depression. This is the hardest part of the support position for me. I tend to wing a bit after a few seconds.

Well, you are gonna be a bit more fatigued if you have to train your RTO holds after a MU. However, if that's the only way you can get up there, that's that.

It's decent for now. You just need to train it more and become more efficient at it. If you can already do a MU, you have the base strength level to work a ring support obviously.

Also bare in mind working RTO holds on rings that are nearly 10' long are so much more difficult than when the straps are only set 2-4 feet long. World of difference. Not so much after 15' when they are 20'. Diminishing returns maybe.

Patrick Van de Glind

Thank you both for your very helpful comments!

When applying it, already my Support hold improved massively (for my elbows / stability)!

Not only was 15 seconds a lot easier but it also looks like a couple of weeks of training

with better technique and I will hit 30 seconds in 1 try.

Here is the result, this time at home (with shorter straps):

qoyocDoEC6Y

Ps:

I did notice myself in this new video, that because I was trying to implement your comments

in the video you can see some of the old mistakes again but I think I also show some frames

with improvement

Again thanks!