Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Weightlifting/skill training combo

R0LY24

Hey guys,

My name is Ian, I'm a 200lb, 24 year old rugby player from the UK, who has little to no gymnastics experience what so ever (except my level 6 KitKat badge from when I was 7!). I can't remember how I stumbled onto this website but I sure am glad I did as it has a great collection of advice and tutorials which are accessible to complete novices.

I bought the gymnasticsbodies ebook yesterday and from looking at all the progressions I think its safe to say that I am level 1 for nearly all the exercises! I go to the gym regularly, doing barbell lifts and occasionally plyometrics and am relatively strong, at least in comparison to the average Joe. I don't do body-building routines, only full body strength (reps of 5x5) stuff.

What I have come to release though is that I am extremely lacking in mobility and static hold strength, i.e. I cannot sit in an L-shape (not even L-sit) without my back rounding severely, and the range of motion in my shoulder girdle is so small that I cannot do wall extension with my back and hips pressed into the wall as well as my forearms.

Like I said earlier, I do go to the gym regularly and I don't think that I will be able to drop the iron completely and switch to purely bodyweight stuff straight away, so I was wondering what your recommendations would be for combining the two? The exercises which I would like to work on first are the L-sit, Back lever, front lever, handstand and core progressions. Do you think I can slot this in seamlessly to my current routine? maybe as the "core" component? How often should I be training each skill to get the most benefit but not be over training?

Also, as I mentioned above I'm the best part of 200lb, and roughly 20% body fat. I'm well aware that this will massively impair my ability to perform many of the basic gymnastic exercises and would like to reduce it it 12-14%. I'm fairly clued up on eating for sports performance (I'm a trainee dietitian who can talk the talk, but struggles walking the walk sometimes!), and was wondering what recovery strategies you guys implement? how you eat for performance? and what the demands are in comparison to more conventional weightlifting, i.e. is it more CNS development or muscle development?

Sorry for the long post guys, hopefully someone will be able to get back to me. Again, just want to say what a great job you're doing here. Many thanks, Ian

Hiya bud,

I don't know if you have already read my thread on this page. I also do weightlifting/ full body routines, and could not understand why i was making no progress in strength or size for months on end. I also weigh roughly 200lb and 17-18% Bf at a guess.

A couple of members recommended i start by doing the basic FSP holds. Ive only done a couple of sessions in with FSP's so far and it already seems to of helped some. My posture is terrible btw, and i think these exercises are great at correcting this.

Im going to continue with these exercises while still doing my full body routine at the gym and see how things go. Maybe you should try something similar?

Hi Strogg,

you seem to be in a very similar situation to me, which is good, as its always nice to have someone you can relate to! yeah, I currently train 3 times a week at the gym so I think I will add L-sit progressions to the end of my workouts and then on my off days I will incorporate mobility work for the hips and shoulders with other basic FSPs such as frogstand and handstand holds.

If I were to work on the L-sit every day, do you think that would be too much? At my current level I don't think 3 minutes a day will be too taxing on my body!

Rik, I think that's a great idea, I'm never going to be more than a weekend warrior so I'm not worried about my legs being "too bulky", and I think full squats are a great exercise regardless of your discipline. You are right though, in terms of upper body strength bodyweight movements seem to deliver a great mixture of mobility, power and strength which weights can't quite match. Once i've improved my shoulder girdle I'm going to hit the dip progressions hard!