Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Crow Stand questions

froggy

Hi. I've been doing crow stands for a few days as an unsteady but optimistic beginning and I have a beginner question. Coach Sommer recommends padding in front in case of any "crash landings" but how should I expected to land in something like that?

It would not be particularly safe just to tip forward in the same pose, right? If I were to lose balance from that position it has potential to mess up my neck even if the pillow spares my face. Is there a pose to adjust to the falling just in case I go forward past my hands safely?

When I am about to tip over my natural reaction would be to move my arms forward, occasionally that came too late so I just try to land on my shoulder, do not allow your head touch the floor in any spot.

Bonking your head generally isn't the worse thing in the world but can be dangerous if you are weak or out of shape.

Best to just bend one arm more and fall to the side. Slip the knee off the elbow.

When I am tipping forwards I bend my arms more in an effort to bring the crown of my head down to the floor. I end up in a headstand. If it is a fast crash I'll use the momentum to just pass through the headstand into a forward roll. Otherwise, I will end up in the static headstand and just bring my feet down.

Thanks for the tips everyone! The only time I actually fell forward was when I purposely did it in front of a carpeted staircase for only 2" of movement, but it is really nice to have safety tips like these so I don't have to worry. While balancing it's nice to see how to incorporate these and have a safety plan. I think it improved my time just to know how to avoid a concussion :) Maybe the coach should put stuff like that in his next book.

Well, one of my friends, a gymnastics coach that teaches adults prefers not to teach the frog stand much to his gym goers (CrossFitters). Newbie, weak, and overweight adults can slam on their face real easily. More often that not, they won't want to ever try it again. However, it really is a big step for some to skip the Advanced Frog Stand. One of the coaches at the gym I was at tried to, with our L9/10 girls and optionals, and well most were not ready to even try tuck planche.

Yes, their L are ok at best. I was not in charge of S&C, so all I could do was shrug and tell them it was fine by me to do the Adv Straight Arm Frog Stand. Unless I wanted to try spotting 20-25 of our 35 girls or so on tuck planches for a few seconds.

Training the Frog Stand isn't much of an issue for kids but headstands and frog stands can be problematic for adults, I guess.