Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

To wheel, or not to wheel... That is the question.

blueyes

My question here is this:

Is gymnastics exercise enough for strength and size gains or should someone do additional exercise such as Pavel Tsatsuline's Bulletproof Abs or Paul Zaichik's workout OR...

... should you get an Ab Wheel too?

David Picó García

Yes, yes and the ab wheel.....not necesarely but yes. :P

In fact you are just moving weight so is the same as bodybulding but with a different aproach (you change leverages in order to increase the weitght).

Get a pair of rings and you could do at least two of the best exercises you can do in bodybuilding, pull ups, and dips, and those are the easiest you can do with rings :P

Yeah. My wife has an ab wheel, but when I first got my rings and was looking at exercises you could do on them I saw that you could do something similar to the basic roll out straight in front of you. I lower them all the way to the ground, kneel with my knees next to my hand and "roll out."

Not strong enough to do it on my feet yet, but it feels about the same as an ab wheel.

I guess there would be a difference since the rings are moving along an arc.

I bet the wheel and rings compliment each other pretty good, I never really thought of using the rings as a wheel, but you can also adjust the arc by shoulder angle, so it's probably a nice progress, thanks for the idea, but the ab wheel is s great idea and its the cheapest thing around.

David Picó García

With the rings you can adjust the difficulty as with the ab wheel if you put on your knees instead of your feet, but also controlling how lower the rings are (the lower the rings are the harder the movement will be). And with ring you can add some variations like returning back moving your arms to the sides to a fly push and return to start position (this is hard for the arms/elbows :wink: )

i'm curious if you could use the ab wheel like the rings... well kinda... instead of rolling it forward... roll it towards your waste and mimic a pseudo planche in push-up position... i'm curious as to how this would feel...

How would it feel? Well, if you weren't careful, and let it roll too far underneath you and then collapsed, you'd feel...pain.

And might not be able to have any (more) children.

lol... i thought about that... it would have to be slow and gradual build up... after thinking about it i'm curious to try it one arm at a time... use an ab wheel kind of thing... the ones that kind look like dumb bells... and roll it torwards your waist... it would be hard but you would have your other hand to spot... or have your other hand on a pole or platform to assist... thinking about giving it a try... just need to find/make the wheel...

I think Ross Enamait has some nice plans for those multi wheel-wheel of death devices.

An interesting exercise he has shown is to start in a pushup position and roll out towards something like a maltese. Of course, you can do this with rings as well.

I can see the rings being much more versatile. For example, you start in a pushup position, lower yourself while pushing your arms straight in front of you (like an ab wheel), and then rotating your arms and bring them straight out to the side (like you just did a chest fly) and then slowly continuing to rotate them to a maltese position, and then reversing.

You could dublicate each individual exercise with either a two-hand or two single-hand ab wheels or rollers or whatever, but you couldn't do the entire exercise on them.

I can't do the entire exercise on rings anyway, but it's conceivable.

I do have a wheel, the rings can be used to be wheel like. Right now I'm trying to work my self to a V-sit, I don't know if the wheel is going to help me as much compared to leg raises and such.