Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

McDonald's Four Year Old Cheeseburger

Coach Sommer

Coach Sommer

Four years old; no wrapping, no refrigeration, no discoloration and no signs of mold or spoiling. Is this food or a chemistry experiment?

4IGtDPG4UfI

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

John Sapinoso

you are what you eat...so if you eat mcdonalds you will become immortal.

• Upvote 1

Joshua Chan

I can't stop laughing :D:D:D

I suppose if you swallowed it whole it would come out looking the same way.

Rikke Olsen
LOL - I thought the same thing: "Forever young!"

Joshua Naterman

"You're young and thin..." Only by today's American standard. Sorry, that and the comment about "when I was overweight" just kill me. I'm sure the lady has made great progress from where she started, but that's like me moving from San Diego to LA and then saying "back when I lived in Southern California..." when talking about SD. I'm probably the only person more concerned by this than the burger... :P

That hamburger is quite disturbing too, though.

Daniel Burnham
"You're young and thin..." Only by today's American standard. Sorry, that and the comment about "when I was overweight" just kill me. I'm sure the lady has made great progress from where she started, but that's like me moving from San Diego to LA and then saying "back when I lived in Southern California..." when talking about SD. I'm probably the only person more concerned by this than the burger... :P

That hamburger is quite disturbing too, though.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Why would someone buy a diet book from someone who doesn't seem to have that great body composition. I realize that you can know a lot about something and not follow it, but since she is trying to loose weight herself I just can't fathom it. It seems she has jumped on the OZ / Opera gravy train. I wonder if other fast food is similar. I'd like to see a 5 year old taco bell taco.

FREDERIC DUPONT
(...) Why would someone buy a diet book from someone who doesn't seem to have that great body composition (...)

LOL... I think for the same reasons that people have their savings managed by brokers, or business owners hire self employed consultants! :roll:

Rafael David

Wow... this thing must be radioactive! :lol:

I remember that I saw the same thing happen with french fries in "Super Size Me"... :shock:

Joshua Naterman

Every time I hear or see Dr. Oz's name my Spidey sense tingles, the Bat-Signal overhangs the city and I hear Obi-Wan and Yoda whispering in my head: "Beware the power... of the Dark Side..."

• Upvote 1

Coach Sommer

Interesting but irrelevant, Gentlemen.

You are allowing yourselves to be distracted by secondary issues. The primary point of the topic was the "four year old cheeseburger", the food industry which not only allows but actively promotes the sale of such a product and the subsequent impact of this type of "food" on the health of the American public.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Joshua Naterman

It is pretty bad. I kind of want to do a side by side comparison between a McDonald's burger + fries and one I make at home, just to see what happens. I think I'm more scared of what's in that bun than anything else, I mean I've seen plenty of dried cheese and dried meat. It might depend heavily on the condition the food is kept in, like moisture and such.

Nic Branson

It's sad this is what not only passes for food but is what the public at large looks forward to eating. Not as a once or twice a year treat but weekly / daily even...

My history teacher, when I was in high school, did a similar experiment. He kept a Bigmac for several years, and was using it as an example of mummy for Egyptian history. :lol:

And it also reminds me what I heard about American soldiers being burried but their bodies not decomposing due to the amount of preservatives they were containing.

Larry Roseman

THis article at http://www.naturalnews.com/030074_Happy ... mpose.html made some interesting points ...

With meats, the primary reason why they don't decompose is their high sodium content. Salt is a great preservative, as early humans have known for thousands of years. McDonald's meat patties are absolutely loaded with sodium -- so much so that they qualify as "preserved" meat, not even counting the chemicals you might find in the meat.

To me, there's not much mystery about the meat not decomposing. The real question in my mind is why don't the buns mold? That's the really scary part, since healthy bread begins to mold within days. What could possibly be in McDonald's hamburger buns that would ward off microscopic life for more than two decades?

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/030074_Happy ... z1zmScYQhM

THought this article makes an important point as well:

http://skepticalteacher.wordpress.com/2 ... hamburger/

In fact, a number of home-grown experiments have been performed which show that the reason why McDonald’s food, and any kind of food for that matter, doesn’t decompose in these examples is because it is allowed to dry out. And if you know anything about preserving food (hint: think beef jerky), one way to do it is to simply dehydrate it. If the food dries out, then there is no moisture to support the growth of mold, bacteria, and other microorganisms which would otherwise decompose it. Essentially, the food is mummified.

Coach Sommer

What I found particularly disturbing about the video below is that even when the children were aware of where the nuggets came from they still wanted to eat them. Unbelievably effective advertising on the part of McDonalds.

S9B7im8aQjo

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Rafael David
What I found particularly disturbing about the video below is that even when the children were aware of where the nuggets came from they still wanted to eat them. Unbelievably effective advertising on the part of McDonalds.

S9B7im8aQjo

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Coach, what's the point? Children (the majority) grow believing that they should eat what is tasty, not what is nutritious. If even adults (again, the majority) don't know what to eat in order to be health, isn't surprising that children do the same.

OyvindBirkeland

About the Jamie Oliver video. I don't find it disturbing that we make food of what some call "left overs". When we slaughter a chicken I think its good that we can use as much as possible from it. It's not the chicken bits, connective tissues and bone marrows in the nuggets that concerns me, its the stuff that is not from the chicken that concerns me.

Rik de Kort

I would agree. Sometimes my mother buys half a pig from a local farmer and we regularly eat something called 'balkenbrij', which basically is leftovers from the pig cooked in bouillon and then thickened with a type of flour. You then divide it into blocks which you can bake and eat.

Joshua Naterman

I often soften bones with vinegar or a long, slow boil and I nearly always eat the cartilage no matter what (to the dismay of my girlfriend). Nothing wrong with marrow, cartilage, or bone. Tastes good, plenty of calcium. I always eat the chicken skin too, as there is nothing unhealthy about chicken fat, so again... aside from stabilizers, bleached/enriched flour and any artificial flavors (though you won't hear me speak against salt) there's nothing wrong with that stuff. Nothing yucky about the chicken parts.

It is, of course, hilarious (and sad, and not unexpected) that American children seem to be willing to eat what they have always eaten even after they are told it's made out of "yucky stuff."

Coach Sommer
... Coach, what's the point? Children (the majority) grow believing that they should eat what is tasty, not what is nutritious. If even adults (again, the majority) don't know what to eat in order to be health, isn't surprising that children do the same ...

"Tasty" and "nutritious" do not have to be mutually exclusive. They certainly are not in Europe.

The point that I personally find reprehensible is the commercial perspective that it is acceptable to take advantage of the naivete of children in the name of profits.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

I couldn't agree more with that. There are plenty of adults that think that food is healthy too.

Of course everything surrounding health seems to be propped up by a false mystique created by advertising.

I was just talking to a friend who owns a children's clothing store here in Finland, and childhood obesity has found it's way over the ocean and is becoming more common.

There are lot's of processed foods in the shops here as well, microwave pizza's being a popular favorite. Fast food however is more expensive, so I think that keeps people from eating it as often.

The last time I visited home, in a suburban California town, my aunt didn't even have any pots or pans, the stove broke down and she didn't bother to repair it. It was easier to eat out.

I honestly can't imagine this, I learned to cook, real food, good food in college. I went to the co-op got my food for the week, shopped smart and ate well. A habit I've kept throughout my life. Thankfully my wife is also very into healthy eating, and we have friends in the countryside who provide us with fresh berries or veggies, even meat from time to time as well.

Honestly, even as a kid I didn't like McDonald's, it upset my stomach, but other fast food I ate, and when I had summer jobs, we ate fast food for lunch often. I can recall watching the size of sodas growing as well, when I left it was the big gulp. thankfully I haven't seen this yet in Finland.

I can only hope that people once again find that cooking can be healthy and easy, you can make a good meal in the time it takes to hop in the car and drive to the fast food.

Larry Roseman

Fast food for us was just used as an occasional cheap meal replacement, during a road trip. It was never

a resturaunt destination. Now, kids insist the parents take them to Mac Ds. And it's sometimes

a long wait on line and it's not so cheap any more!

Daniel Burnham

I don't think anyone is deluded enough to think that McDonalds is healthy. Its really just a matter of discipline. It's easier to go get a tasty burger and disregard what it might do to you. The same goes for kids except the discipline should come from the parents. When I was a kid I was taught to eat what was provided at the table. This was usually home cooked southern food consisting of plenty of vegetables. My parents were quick to discipline me if I begged for fast food. From this learned to like and appreciate cooking and eating what was nutritious.

I apply this same discipline that was instilled in me as a kid. It would be much easier to not train and instead watch TV. It would also be easier to not think about what I eat and just go out. But instead, I put many hours in planning meals cooking and working out.

This discipline seems to be something that is being lost in America today. Some parents would rather just give the kids what they want rather than go the harder route and teach the kids life long lessons. Many problems would be solved, not just health, if everyone was less lazy...

This is something that I respect about coach. You are are teaching this kids lifelong lessons about hard work. It doesn't matter as much what they achieve in gymnastics in comparison to what they've learned happens when you practice discipline and hard work.

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.