Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

FL and BL.

Tavis G

Can the Front lever and Back lever be trained in the same day? And do they hit the connective tissue hard? Because I started training the OAC and if they are both hard on the connective tissue, i will drop them till i get an OAC.

Daniel Burnham
Youre supposed to train ALL of your FSP before EVERY workout.

Not true. It may be useful to go through them all as non taxing skill work each workout, but I wouldn't do it every workout depending on your schedule and workload. I have a hard time working back lever and planche in the same day so I have a fsp split. I have made much better progress by spearing and allowingore recovery time.

To the OP this is something you will have to decide. The only problems I could see would be the front lever taxing your lats too much. But I suspect your activation may not be enough at this plot to have a problem. The other issue is overworking the elbow. OAC work has a tendency to bring on some elbow pain if you are not properly conditioned. Back lever and planche work are good for building the requisite elbow preparation. I might even hold off on OAC until the elbows feel strong. If you decide not to hold off I just wouldn't do planche, back lever and OAC in the same day. At least not in high volumes. I suppose if you only wanted the OAC you could just do elbow prehab and get it without moving through any of the the FSP.

EDIT: I would also like to add that I had a similar goal of getting a OAC but have recently held off in order to prepare myself more for it. I am very close and can do 4-5 second negatives and several supported by my little finger in a row. But working it at very much volume gave be elbow pain. I've noticed similar experiences with other people and think that better prep will help me more in the long run.

Thanks. I do OAC work 2 times a week. I was just wondering if you could work all those at once because they are all very taxing. But you will be in peak condition if you get em. I believe i have properly conditionitioned elbows too.

Daniel Burnham

I would be hesitant to assume that your elbows are conditioned enough. I remember from your other posts that you are young so it may not be an issue, but I do not have any experience with younger people. This would be a good question for coach. If doing FSP is taxing your OAC work and that is your major goal then by all means lighten the FSP work and concentrate on OAC.

Also exercise order matters. Generally you should put the most neurally intensive/complex exercises first in your workout. So it might be good to crank out a few OACs first in your workout sequence (after sufficient warmup of course) so that you can focus on them without being tired.

Well actually, i have three main goals over ALL others. OAC/OAP, Planche, Adonis Belt(for the girls. lol)

Is the Adonis Belt a movement? :roll: Just kidding. Good luck with your training. You chose good training tools.

If i dont train the planche for a couple weeks, wouldnt the times go down?

I'm pretty sure you get an adonis belt by being lean and yes you will lose some strength in the planche if you don't train it for a couple of weeks.

I have a question regarding elbow stress in OACs. How are OACs intense on the elbows and bicep tendons? They never seem or feel intense on my elbows when I work on them, but I always hear people getting tendonitis or pain by the elbows when working OACs. Is it because of the weight of the body acting on the one arm locked elbow at the bottom or is it from the chin-up motion itself? Thanks!

I have no clue. But i think it is from the stress constantly being on one arm.

Nic Branson

It's the bodyweight and tension on the one arm in every position. Typically the body is not conditioned to tolerate it without some prep work. Keep in mind many people also do too much work. Two days of rope climbing, two days of OAC and normal GST will break things down quickly. That's just an example of course.

I think it's probably due to the fact that people will often start by doing shitloads of negatives while they weren't necessarily doing chins variations with a lot of tension (per example, weighted chins, archer chins, etc.). So going straight to the negative can do quite a big difference tension-wise.