Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

One arm muscle up and possible OAHSPU??

Tavis G

No, that is a pretty common move for handbalncers to do. I think the muscle up was kind of stupid. I would rather not do it at all then do it that sloppily.

It's not THAT common, give the man some credit, also look where he's doing it and that it's a complete sequence of moves done with one arm.

Handbalancer showed that clip to me a year or so ago to me and had nothing but respect for his accomplishment.

• Upvote 1

Nic Branson

Sloppy is just a way to describe a difficult movement that someone is learning to complete. The harder it is the more sloppy it looks early on.

Those are incredibly hard even the iterations shown there.

Yea, in terms of his abilities the dude reminds me of Dominic Lacasse. Both are exceptionally strong and fit individuals.

However, AFAIK, it is not physiologically possible to do a true one arm MU. Every one that I've seen has had a substantial amount of kip. And as for the one arm HSPU, isn't this basically a one arm elbow lever to one arm handstand with a plyo-style pushup?

In fact, after watching it again, there is so much momentum involved i would more consider it a one arm dip before I considered it a one arm MU. Maybe I'm being harsh...

The OP gave incorrect names to the video, which unfortunately has detracted from how great it actually is.

Coach has said he doesn't believe the OAHSPU is possible, I doubt the OAMU is as well.

In fact, after watching it again, there is so much momentum involved i would more consider it a one arm dip before I considered it a one arm MU. Maybe I'm being harsh...

It's a one arm MU with a strong kip at the one arm pull-up and transition plus another kip for the one arm dip. A non-kipping one arm MU would be impossible simply because no human is strong enough to do a one arm transition without momentum, but what he did was still crazy and incredible :mrgreen:.

I'm sure someone could do a OAP/OAC without momentum followed by a one arm kipping transition and then a one arm dip without momentum to finish the MU although a one arm dip done like that sounds crazy hard.

I don't think it's harsh to say that it is not a one arm muscle-up and a one arm handstand push-up. Doing such a kip with one arm is very very hard, same for the croco to one arm handstand.

For the true one arm muscle-up, I don't think it's physiologically impossible, but very close to it. You'd have to be able to do one arm triceps extensions with your own weight or something close, and also to do some kind of arm-wrestling style of move with your shoulder and forearm to do the transition. The one arm dip is possible too, but it's so hard that there's no video of it being done decently.

Mikael Kristiansen

That guy is ridiculous. There is a clip of him doing 10 crock-1arms in a row on floor. Also keep in mind that he is more than 45 years old. People have a tendency to dismiss that move "because it uses momentum", but they usually havent even tried. It is still ridiculously hard. The thing is that if you are not strong enough to push through as you swing your legs you will faceplant because your shoulder will be in front of your palm while travelling up.

There are those who do it without tempo as well, namely the chinese and gulliano stroe(he is very close in a video and will get it for sure) as far as i know. In one way I actually consider that a 1 arm hspu. People have a tendency to think that certain 1 arm moves will be an exact copy of the 2 arm move, not considering the drastical change in biomechanics. If you look at a hspu it is essentially "shoulderstand push to handstand". A 1 arm shoulder stand does not work, but if you do move over 1 arm from shoulderstand, you end up in a 1 arm elbow lever/crockodile. Of course it is not the same as a hspu, but i would say as close as it gets. Cai Yong, a chinese handbalancer presses out of lever through flag at 2.25 in this act

The same goes for 1 arm planche. It is very different than a normal planche as the body needs to twist to keep balance, which changes the scapula and body positioning and in principle makes it into a completely different move. The same is also true for 1 arm back lever. In fact, a hanging reverse meathook/flag relates to 1 arm back lever the same way a 1arm handstand flag relates to a 1arm planche.

Check this pic out for one of the most ridiculous pictures i ever saw.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =3&theater

• Upvote 1

That latest picture is sick. And Cai Yong is an amazing hand balancer, one of my favorite. :)

I can't wait to see how Giuliano will develop. His balancing techniques aren't very clean, but he's so strong and light that it's like he doesn't even really care. :lol:

That planche in the Facebook picture is the first one arm planche I've ever seen from a guy with actual legs. His torso is very close to being in a perfect horizontal plane. I wonder if it's possible to have the shoulders in line with each other horizontally with the legs and lower back twisting and swaying towards the working arm of course in a one arm planche and also if the arm can lockout in one arm planches.

WitnessTheFitness

:shock: Wow, can't believe my eyes with that Facebook picture. My jaw dropped the first time I saw those two guys perform, but a one arm planche? Out of this world. His display picture of a one arm straddle planche is mind blowing as well. Is there any video footage for this, or any idea on how long of a hold it is?

WitnessTheFitness

Found a video of Spirin performing the one arm planche at the Cirque du Soleil World Acrobatic Cup. He hits it at about 1:34.

fIIaY6X_eJE

Martin de Jesus Ponce Robaldino

It's not a one arm planche, it's just one arm balance =)

Anyway it needs lots of strength and control

In any one arm support position one's arm is directly beneath his center of gravity, so an one arm planche would require some degree of body tilt.

In any one arm support position one's arm is directly beneath his center of gravity, so an one arm planche would require some degree of body tilt.

Well, he was a little bit tilted and his legs were twisting and swaying towards the working arm in that photo. So I think his could be considered a one arm planche while the ones with the body facing sideways can be considered a one arm side lever in support.