Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Questions about BtGB.

Tavis G

1. Do you have to have rings with it?

2. Does it help learn OAC/OAP?

3. Does it go step-by-step in all the staic holds?

4. How many pushups and dips variations does it feature?

Sorry if these are stupid questions. I just want to know before i buy. Thanks to all.

For the OP:

1. the book reccomends rings as a minimum I believe, but you can improvise with just access to a chinup bar for a fair amount of the exercises. Rings are optimal if you can afford them, but if not then you will still be able to improvise a decent program

2. The book includes pullup progressions which lead up to assisted OAC work

3. The six static holds (L-sit, Planche, Front Lever, Back Lever, Straddle L, and Manna) are covered in a step-by-step manner (although I believe that current advice is to hold off on these until you can do the prerequisites - not all of which have been released).

4.Not sure of the exact number, but for pushups, there is a whole progression leading up from basic floor pushups to unsupported planche pushup variations. For dips, again not sure of the number, but the progression runs from negative PB dips to XR Bulgarian dips.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks, but im still confused. So the book can lead straight to OAC? Or does it just go as far as assisted ones? That and the planche are my main goals, and i am obsessed with them.

Rik de Kort

1. Rings are a big plus. Get them.

2. There's plenty of people here with an OAC that will give you advice when the time comes. BtGB will build a strong foundation and that's what you get the book for. So, yes, it will help you learn OAC indirectly.

3. Yes. You have to get the pre-FSP's first, though.

4. :facepalm:

Daniel Burnham

Several people have answered the first couple of questions but I would like to focus on your fourth.

By asking this question I think you may misunderstand the intentions of the book. The focus of the book is to give progressions to reach a high level of bodyweight strength, and to learn the fundamental static positions which include planche.

This differs from other exercise books usually focused on bodybuilding. In these books it is common to come up with many variations (often useless) that promise to hit different areas or just provide variety in the routine. Coach's book does not focus on the number of variations. BtGB focuses on progressions that each builds up to gymnastics strength necessary for the conditioning of his athletes. This also answers your question about OAC. If you are able to do all the progressions of upper body pulling exercises in the book then you will have (or be very close to having) the strength to perform a OAC.

In conclusion the answer to your 4th question is that it doesn't matter how many pushup and dip exercises there are in the book. I can promise that if you progress as the book states, and use the advice found on this site or at the seminars you will achieve the planche. This assumes you don't try to over do it, or try to do to many variations that keep you spinning in circles, and that you don't have some underlying physical restriction that would keep you from achieving it.

You keep asking about the book and other books. Trust me I have read the other books you have mentioned you are considering and BtGB has led to greater strength than the others. Just buy it :D along with the rings. And since I have a feeling you might ask which rings are better I will answer that question as well. I've used most of the major competitors and the XR are my favorite non-wooden rings.

EDIT: Sorry this is so verbose for such a small question. I feel I might be reading too many of Josh's posts :wink: .

If money for the rings is a problem, you can find plans for making pvc rings everywhere online. I made mine for $5, all you need is a saw and an oven. The rest is found at the hardware store. They arent the greatest(I bought xr rings a few months later), but they will do the job.

Daniel Burnham
If money for the rings is a problem, you can find plans for making pvc rings everywhere online. I made mine for $5, all you need is a saw and an oven. The rest is found at the hardware store. They arent the greatest(I bought xr rings a few months later), but they will do the job.

I've also used these before. My friend made them and hung them outside. The broke on him after about a year of use. Fortunately

he was just doing pullups. Do yourself a favor and buy the real deal if you plan to get serious. It would be awful to break a ring during an inverted muscle up progression or while doing a back lever.

FREDERIC DUPONT
(...) The broke on him after about a year of use. Fortunately

he was just doing pullups. Do yourself a favor and buy the real deal if you plan to get serious. It would be awful to break a ring during an inverted muscle up progression or while doing a back lever.

I agree, buy the rings!

However, if you are going to faceplant due to DIY equipment failure, please post a video! ;)

Yes i am most likely going to get the rings, but im definately getting the book soon.

Btw, would you consider this strong(so far without training for it)? With my right arm on OAC i can get a slight bend in my elbow and OAP i can get about the same.

My left arm on OAC i cant get a bed at all and OAP i can get about the same as the other arm. Is it because my left bicep isnt as strong?

Rik de Kort

The last thing you should be worrying about now is weak links. Your entire body is a weak link at this point.