Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Revelation concerning pinky finger contribution to grip

Cody Hahn

This is something that should seem very common sense but I had never paid attention to until just yesterday when doing chin-ups. I realized that my pinky fingers have not been doing their fair share of the work in gripping a bar when doing various hanging or pulling movements. So I decided to do something about this. For the next four sets of my chin-ups I made sure that I actively gripped with my pinky fingers and I was surprised at how tiring it was for them. When I got done with my sets my pinky fingers and down along the pinky side of my forearms were cramped and tight from the new stimulus. This may very well have something to do with my on-going (for the last year and a half or so) wrist pain and issues with my right wrist when doing first knuckle push-ups or when in a handstand position. I feel as if strengthening the pinky finger and pinky side of my wrist and forearm in this neutral range of motion will go a long way in eventually healing my wrist and then preparing it for more disadvantaged position joint preparation. I also remember Joshua Naterman saying in a past post that the reason his wrists were already prepared for first knuckle push-ups was due to his having done numerous hangs, pull-ups, and deadlifts from his fingers, rather than the callouses on his palms, and this had prepared his wrists all-around. I think I'll be strict in making my pinky fingers do their share of the work and see where I am in the next 3-4 months.

• Upvote 1

@ FredInChina- Sorry Fred, I've been out on summer break from College and I got lazy about the one main point, one paragraph rule! Will make it easier to read next time.

@FutureIsNow- Haha! I must have written this in a way that suggested I was doing chin-ups from just my pinky fingers. Not so. Though that would be awesome! I meant that when gripping the bar with all of my fingers, my pinky fingers would sort of slide down a little bit when my grip fatigued and when my hands got sweaty, so the index, middle, and ring fingers of each hand were doing most of the work and the pinky fingers were just along for the ride. Hope that clears things up!

Larry Roseman

Just being facetious. It's not someting I practice either.

Pinkies certainly can contribute to the grip. I guess if your grip gives up before your other arm muscles additional pinkie involvement would help the most. And strength training. Have you considered pinky wrestling?

Just kidding :mrgreen:

Good point.