Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Killroy workout ?

Martyn Grant

Martyn Grant

I have looked thorugh killroy workout as directed by members on here and have came up with a training template that i think is good. ...but before i go full steam ahead into it a second opinion would be great. :?:

I understand that it may be too much for beginner to train 6 days week..but i have been training in strength exercises for long time and barely missed a week in 10 years and i believe i can manage 6 days week.

I had a look at killroys workout and it seemed to lack volume of single exercises -.e.g pushups and dips once weekly?? this does not seem enough to grease to groove of exercises and the central nervous system will struggle to pick up the patterns doing it once weekly ( correct me if i am wrong ! )

I thought that i would be better to add 2 days a week with each exercise.e.g dips and pushups, pullups and rows and put core work in more often along with FSP,s 5 times a week.

Mon - FSP,s + pushing exercises x 2 dips and pushups , straight body core work, pistols and calf raises

Tue - FSP,s + Pulling exerices X 2 pullups and rows, core work.

Wed - Stretch and foam roller, pistols and calf raises.

Thur - FSP,s + Back lever assistance exercises , core work, pistols and calf raises.

Fri - FSP'S - Same template as Monday

sat - FSP'S - Same template of Tuesday

Sunday - REST ( walk , stretch and foam roller )

My questions are - should i do 5 x 5 reps for exercises or aim for 5 x 3 for more max strength? I just finnished the dan johns 40 days program which meant i was training with kettlebells 40 days notstop - i made very impressive strength gains due to volume at end of 40 days - pavel believes it takes 40 days for the body to learn a pattern. should i treat this training similar ? e.g more volume on pullups makes faster mastery of the skill ?

Thanks.

Murray Truelove

Hi Martyn,

I've only being doing work from this site for about 6 months and recently I've totally re-evaluated my approach to a gymnastic style routine. But if I can share with you what I've learnt recently perhaps it'll help - no doubt more senior people will post as well and correct anything I say in error.

The most crucial thing I've learnt: Go slow. I think most people coming to gymnastics fail to realise the strain on joints and tendons. In other workouts it quite possible to move quickly through progressions and add reps/sets as muscle adaptation happens far quicker than that of tendons and joints. There are crucial periods of 'overload, load and underload' this cycle can take as long as 12 weeks throughout which you don't increase reps or intensity.

The second most crucial thing I've learnt: Scale back. Spend a lot of time with the early FSPs to give time for tendons and joints to adapt and build a solid foundation to progress from.

In regards to your routine perhaps start with 2 days a week and see how that goes and if you're comfortable add more days. I started 3 days a week, then went down to 1 day a week and only now am I doing 4 days a week.

As for the FBE I'm sure others here will be able to comment - but I think at the early stages you should be concentrating on the FSPs.

I hope that helps. I had a few people help me recently on my own killroy70 routine so maybe it'll help you to give it a read:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9204&start=15

Murray

Vincent Stoyas

I don't get it to be honest. In your last post you omitted FBEs entirely because you were scared of overtraining and now you want to add all kinds in.

As stated above, take it slow. Focus on your FSPs and get correct alignment. You can and will get good progress with killroys template which is why it is advocated so frequently by members of the forum and I believe even coach.

When it all comes down to it, just go workout!

Listen to your body and take a step back if you need to. You are the best judge.

After your ssc go ahead and tweak it so it works for you. It may take a few times.

If you don't want to guess, then do the WODs. They cover everything.

Martyn Grant

Yeah, I think my problem is that want to succeed to much...and with all the confusion on what to do and how much etc.

6 days is too much, but 2 days is not enough so killroys workout slightly adapted will be best.

Ok thanks for advice. will put a post on here in 10 weeks time with my progress and hopefully will be more clued up in the training side.

Vincent Stoyas

Keep a log here too. It helps you actually see your progress and everyone can help chip in with tips too