Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Planche push up or Push up progressions?

Andrew Long

Andrew Long

Hej everyone,

Just a quick question. In the book there is a list of push up progressions but at no point is planche push ups in easier forms ( such as tucked) in the progression I am wondering should I continue with the progression of push ups in the book or once I am able to do sets of tucked planche push ups should I substitue those instead of the book progressions?

Sorry If the post is unclear im kinda tired.

Thank you to all those who reply =)

If you read the introduction to the pushups section then Coach says: "

...many non-gymnasts struggled tremendously with proceeding directly to tuck planche pushups. Since then,... I have developed a nice progression to help to ease the difficulty of the transition from standard pushups position to more advanced planche pushup variations.

This seems to suggest that the progression in the book is meant to ramp you up to performing the planche pushup variations, so from that point of view starting tuck planche pushups may be the way to go, if you can do them with good form without the hips dropping.

On the other hand, if the full planche pushups are the goal, some of the wall planche pushups, and other laid out variations may help, as the joint angles can be made more similar. To my mind, then, keeping some wall pl pushups or advanced PPP may be a good idea, but I'm not sure, so maybe someone from the seminar (or Coach himself) can give us they're opinion.

Hope this helps :)

Andrew Long

Ok I just re-read the pushh up progressions and realised that coach suggests the last move to be a planche push up at the level that you can do but it feels like to me I would be able to do tucked planche push ups before a wall one as I have meddled around with both (before I found out about this site) and the tucked variation was much easier although still too difficult for me to be training with atm! so would it make sense to use something like a tuck variation then move on to the wall perhaps then maybe advance tuck then wall maltese then straddle, half lay, full, for example?

Rik de Kort

Why are you trying to change the progressions? They're fine as-is. If you like tuck planche pushups, then by all means do them, but you don't have to overcomplicate stuff by changing the progression.

Andrew Long

I know I quite often ask questions that sound over complicated but I am basically just trying to figure out tuck planche push ups place in the progression really and whether or not it is beneficial to move onto them when I can, or if i should stick to the books progressions I see most people go into tuck or adv tuck push ups as soon as they are able and for me that would definately be before a wall push up. So just confused about when to use them and if it is more beneficial or not to use them? If not I'll just follow the normal books progress and leave out tuck or maybe even adv tuck.

Rik de Kort

To be honest, I don't think it matters that much. It's not like you're taking out the MSH from the manna progression.

• 2 weeks later...

SyXvuYNYknA

Here is a brief vid of my planche push up progress. I was wondering of you guys could critique it. I can't do unsupported reps all the way, and have to touch my feet to the ground in between each rep. I guess I'll keep working the tuck and one legged variations until I've developed the strength to do full lay reps.

As for the OP, I would suggest that if your PPP's are pretty strong and with good form, go ahead and try some tuck PL PU's. I find them about on par with wall PL PU's. Maybe a little easier on the core but harder on the shoulders and arms.

Coach Sommer

My recommendation is to stop during planche pushups immediately; you are not yet ready and will waste a great deal of training time by not directly addressing your deficiencies. Your basic planche position is significantly flawed (low hips, arched back, complete lack of scapular protraction) and must be corrected prior to once again attempting planche pushups.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Thank you for your humbling post coach! That being the case, should I work PPP's or tuck planche push ups focusing on correcting my form? And here I was feeling that I had developed strength in the position!

So thanks to coach for pointing out my lack of proper preparation for PL push ups I've discovered something that I believe has held me back with my PL training and may be an issue for lots of other bodyweight enthusiasts. I can do a tuck planche with protracted scapulae no problem, but as I extend to an adv. tuck PL, my scapulae naturally retract. So basically, I think that I've subconsciously been training my progression with retracted shoulder blades and herp da derp, little progress.

Anyone else who has been stuck at adv. tuck? This could be a contributing factor...

So thanks to coach for pointing out my lack of proper preparation for PL push ups I've discovered something that I believe has held me back with my PL training and may be an issue for lots of other bodyweight enthusiasts. I can do a tuck planche with protracted scapulae no problem, but as I extend to an adv. tuck PL, my scapulae naturally retract. So basically, I think that I've subconsciously been training my progression with retracted shoulder blades and herp da derp, little progress.

Anyone else who has been stuck at adv. tuck? This could be a contributing factor...

I think you just stole the OP's thread.

To Ausswe, the book progressions work well in my experience. But if you are concerned, why not train both the tuck and the book progressions simultaneously? It doesn't have to be one or the other.

My bad, I didn't realize it was bad manners to throw in your own problems regarding the topic, my understanding was that thse were created to inspire constructive criticism for anyone interested in posting their issues, as well as responding to the OP's post. I figured that there were likely many topics already on PL progression issues and that posting my own personal hang ups here would hopefully further the thread and not detract from the OP.

If it is BM to present your own problems with an issue in relation to the topic then I'll stop here, and apologize to ausswe because I didn't realize that was how the forum worked :mrgreen:

Andrew Long

hej mirroredrain

Don't worry about it! =) I don't know if it is allowed but it is nice when people chime in with related things I have read some interesting discussions on here that had evolved into something almost completely different from the OP. Those are my favorite kind of threads because there is usually so much good info in them.

Mikael Kristiansen

I am by no means a planche master, but have been making solid progress on them and planche pushups lately. For both the OP and mirroredrain I would reccomend to have a SOLID planche position in the variation you want to work pushups in. Without it you will end up with the swinging pushups where the legs give momentum, the push upwards is quick and the descent likewise and there is no pause in the planche position. These are the ones that are prevailent on youtube, and frankly, I dont even recognize these as planche pushups.

What most people dont get is that the planche position is actually the HARDEST part of a planche pushup, contrary to a normal pushup where you rest on straight arms. A planche pushup needs to descend from a planche and press back up into a planche, no matter what variation is used. Once some decent strength is buildt on straight arms, it is a great exercise to work on tucked planche pushups fighting hard to keep the body shape both on the way down and up.

Very well said hand balancer. I've found that being able to do a solid full planche for 15 seconds was a good start to do proper PlPU.

Andrew Long

I have noticed that static holds take considerably longer to progress in compared with FBE's though for example I can do controlled tuck rows with a 3131 speed for 5 reps where as a month ago I could barely do 2 or 3 bad reps. My tuck front lever is only solid for about 20 seconds on a good day with retracted shoulders hasnt improved at all and I have been doing it for a few months =( standard 4 times 50% holds mixed it up with doing 3-6 sets just to see if it would improve under different volume so far it just seems worse if anything... strangely enough my flat tuck has improved to a solid 10 sec hold. It could be the fact that I get bored in static positions for too long but I find it weird that my flat tuck has improved where as my tuck hasn't changed...