Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

OAC development

Ian Myers

Hey guys!

What would be more effective for oac development, lightly assisted oacs with a quick negative, or more assisted oacs but with a slow negative? Ive been doing the first, but would love to hear whether or not the negative is more important :)

Well, I don't have an OAC, but from the many forum posts and articles I have read, unassisted slow negatives are the most valuable tool for getting the OAC.

If you can do them unassisted, that would be good - but I think if you can't it's actually better to work on lightly assisted OAC's with a SLOW negative. As light as you can to get that slow drop.

Weighted pullups with a normal tempo also seem to work well.

It's a pretty difficult question. I red in a study that working more on concentric contractions improved concentric contractions more than working on exentric ones. Since your goal is to achieve the concentric part of the movement, I'd have a tendency to think that using the first is a better idea, altought negatives also has it's place in someone's training. Something that helped me a lot last time I achieved my OAC was doing less than 5 seconds isometric contractions with 5 different angles, using extra weight to make sure I would not be able to pull myself up. I did that with 2-3 sets of very lightly assisted OAC, twice a week. I did 2-3 times five angles with isometrics on each arm.