Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Summer training program for boys

Ryan Libke

My six-year old son is out of school for the summer, as are his neighborhood friends of various ages under 10. My son and one boy are both doing gymnastics class once a week and camps. The class is not strength oriented, although they do some conditioning at the end. To keep the boys occupied, I have set up a couple of goals by the end of summer, the first of which is meeting the pre-reqs FSE. I am also thinking of some skill goals, especially on the trampoline, as we have one in back and they do trampoline work in class. I don't think I am going to have much luck with them following a structured workout, but they do feed off one another's progress.

Any other ideas for some good goals? I am just looking for them to have fun and develop some basic strength that is appropriate for their age and ability.

Rik de Kort

If they're good, maybe L-sit? For FBEs: Pullups, pushups, ring support, basic rowing variations. Handstand work.

So, the basics, really.

Yes, I think a good push-up with good form is a good goal. Neither can do it properly, despite my exhortations. Neither can do a pull-up either, to my great and enduring shame as a father. :cry: Actually, I try not to push my interests on my son. I want him to do this kind of stuff because he wants to, not because I want him to.

Karl Kallio

A few weeks ago we "discovered" a pushup variation that might be right for your guys. It works well for people who can do kneeling pushups but lose form on full pushups. In the down phase you keep the legs strainght, but when you get to that tough spot on the up phase you lower the knees and complete the push-up in a kneeling position. As they get stronger the kneeling phase gets shorter then dissappears.

With little guys a little imagination and a sense of fun will work wonders. You can guide them into working with really great technique if they think that it's a game. For example tell them to suck their belly button into their spine like a hungry robot and you will be able to teach pelvic tilt in a way they will remember (especially if you have some "robot food" like a cut out of clockwork gears or a small toy car).

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer slow negatives for pushups focusing on form and concentrics from the bottom. Mainly because the old L4 routine used to have a pushup in it. Working on pushups with kids drives me batty unless you take it one step at a time.