Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Shoulder Dislocates in a Squat

Rik de Kort

And what is the point of doing dislocates in a squat? I don't really see how the squat changes the mechanics of the shoulders, unless your leg flexibility is abysmal.

Aaron Griffin
I don't really see how the squat changes the mechanics of the shoulders, unless your leg flexibility is abysmal.

You've clearly never attempted an overhead squat, then.

+1, it is a pretty hard thing to do to stabilize one's shoulders properly when doing overhead squats. And for many people, just doing shoulder dislocates in a bottom squat position throws them off balance, especially because of lower body mobility issues (if not directly shoulders mobility issues).

Rik de Kort
I don't really see how the squat changes the mechanics of the shoulders, unless your leg flexibility is abysmal.

You've clearly never attempted an overhead squat, then.

Dislocates feel pretty solid in a squat position. Not really any harder than when standing up. Could be because I comparatively spend a lot of time in a squat position. The thing with an overhead squat is that the mechanics of the shoulder change because you have to lean forward (for squat balance). In a dislocate, there is no weight over the head and your hands move through that range of motion anyway if you're standing up.

Nic Branson

Hip flexor mobility has a link to shoulder mobility. One can limit the other. The problem for most tend to be balance and flexibility as an extension of the body trying to maintain balance through tension. If you want to use this for mobility you are better off pressing overhead while holding that squat position.