Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

ac joint

mattdaly

on sunday I slipped and fell heavilt on my right shoulder, x-ray and ultra-sound showed no broken bones or torn ligamnets however my ac joint has "shifted" and there is a lot of muscle bruising and swelling around the joint. Doc said i may be out of sport for weeks:( Any ideas what i can do in meantime to try to keep my level of strength and fitness (at least fitness) I suppose ring work is out for quiet a while. Big setback I'm really not happy bout.

FREDERIC DUPONT

Ahhh, an ac joint injury can be frustrating, but you should be happy that ligaments and tendons are okay.

AC joint injuries are classified from 1-5; has your doc graded it?

For a #1 separation, or just a good shake up where the joint has moved a little, and its interface may be inflamed and ligaments a bit pulled: (for more serious injury, I don't know, the following is my personal experience only!)

- First you need to wait for most of the bruising to subside; depending on how bad is it, this may take up to 3 weeks.

- During that time, a wide sports tape over the joint will help keep it in place (a foot and a half long tape, 2 or 3 inches wide that goes from the bottom of the rear delt to above the nipple - don't forget to shave first, or you'll be reminded of that mistake when you remove the darn thing!)

- Your arm in a sling for a few days will prevent large reflex movements (like trying to catch something falling, etc...); that may save you a lot of pain!

- once the swelling is mostly gone, and the joint is not throbbing any longer, you can do some pendular movements: bend over, like you were to do bend over rows (opposite hand supporting) and gently let your injured arm move in slow pendular circles right and left. (unweighted at first, then in a few weeks, holding a book or a pink DB)

(...)

Going back at it, you'll first have to have a very stable and comfortable BP hold before you try dips.

When you can do dips, your ac injury should be mostly behind you... but that could take a while (several months)

Working around it is easy:

- all unilateral upper body movements or holds are okay.

- all lower body is good too, although you'll have to shift to one hand DLs, suitcase carries... Goblet squats should be okay as long as you can get the load in position with only one hand (you likely can hold it with two).

- Do NOT do any exercise where you may fall again on that shoulder!

Hope that helps a little

yeah that help heaps thanks, it is a grade 1 injury. Looks like im out of action re: soccer and gymnastic work :( i have started the peddular swing exercise and a few others last niht and this morn my shoulder has felt much better, but i know i have a long way to go i'm so bummed about it i am already having withdraweral symptoms not being as active as i was.