Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

One...Arm...Side...Lever...Rows?

alec_ar

So I've been working on this element lately. I kind of discovered it while working meathooks, assisted one arm back levers on the rings, and theorycrafting dead hang to one arm front lever row. It's somewhat hard to explain but the static hold would essentially be similar to a one arm front lever but with the body facing completely to the side and away from the rings. The row part comes in when you pull your elbow toward your body. Essentially it's like a OAC, but with the body laid out in a lever. It is certainly difficult and feels like 10 OAC's put together! Anybody else know what this exercise is called?

It's kind of like a full bodyweight row.

Philip Chubb

It's another form of front lever. One arm front lever can have the body either face inward with chest toward the rings or facing away with chest facing away from the rings which is what you're doing. Both are awesome!

Okay so it's still technically a one arm front lever? I've seen versions of them with the body partially to the side, since a legit OAFL is practically impossible, but the one I'm talking about is with the front of your body totally facing to the side. Like in a side lever but but holding on with one arm only of course. I've personally never seen them done this way before.

yuri marmerstein

Sorry, I'm going to have to see a video of this before I believe it

Jordi Van Gelder

If its straigth arm, i've seen a video of Beastmode doing it, but holding only 1 second. Cannot find the video now.

That's beastly, you should definitely record this. Can you also do the one arm front lever with body facing more upwards and rows in that position as well? What muscles do you feel it works? I know both John Gill and Jasper Benincasa could do rows in the one arm lever position.

Haha I think I made it seem like I was farther along than I am! It's still pretty rough cause I've just started actually training it. I'll record it next time I workout, but basically my progress is this: I start in a one arm lock off then raise my hips to the side with as much force as I can, then, trying to keep my hips high, I lower into a curl.

I can currently do about 1/2 rom with the exercise and am still working towards a straight arm hold with the side-FL thing. The curl portion is insanely intense though and the best bent arm exercise I've found :mrgreen: like I said I'll record it next time I do it to give an idea.

FritsMB Mansvelt Beck

Here is John Gill doing a one arm side lever, as described by mirroredrain. I think he was 6' 2" and between 80 to 85 kg at that time (in the sixties). At 70 he could still do a one arm chin and hold a FL. Lowering from his position into a straight arm (one arm) side lever and then holding the body horizontal would take more strength than most, if not all, of us have. You could e-mail him and ask him. I am sure he would tell you. Ts00nami has some videos showing himself doing a one arm straight-arm FL dynamically using a counter weight in his other hand. Meanwhile, mirrorredrain, you have made me very curious to see how you will be able to progress with your eclectic approach to training your static holds. Keep us posted, and, yes, show us how you progress (video).

Onearmlever.jpg

Philip Chubb

Just tried it and I can do a partial rep of it. But it is very heavy on the shoulder. Might play with it more soon though.

Just tried it and I can do a partial rep of it. But it is very heavy on the shoulder. Might play with it more soon though.

In full lay? :shock:

FritsMB Mansvelt Beck

Here is what I am referring to.

Ts00nami is John Sapinoso, who has a lot of posts on this Forum.