Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

General Question About Injuries

Daniel Bassett

Daniel Bassett

Hello,

Being that I'm a newb, I have been scouring these forums for several months absorbing as much as I can. I've gone through 1 SSC of 12 weeks so far using the prereq and what have you. Making slow but sure progress. But of course as I progress the thing I fear most is injuries. It seems like many people eventually develop injuries, even the experienced fitness enthusiasts. My question is, what tends to be the circumstances surrounding these injuries? Too much, too soon? Please chime in and give me some context to work with. Those of you with or have suffered injuries, did you adhere to a 8-12 week SSC? I found the SSC in the book to be one of the simplest, yet most valuable pieces of advice I've ever had the pleasure to learn. But if people are adhering to it and still getting injured, 怎么办?Thanks! I appreciate your input!

Daniel

Joshua Naterman

During my time here, 100% of these cases have been people jumping ahead in progressions too quickly.

There have actually been several here who have NOT done that, and all are doing very well with no injuries that I know of. Most started out with too much too fast, and these are the ones that started doing things more "by the book" and it is working well for them.

The 2nd edition will have a more structured approach to this.

Rik de Kort

It's too much too soon and pushing through pain, usually. You absolutely have to back off when your connective tissues, joints etc. start to feel sore, take an easy week or two.

Or you could run SSCs, stick to the progressions and prereqs, and not have to worry much.

Andrew Lim

I have just injured my elbow. It is either from muscle ups (I just started being able to do these) or really bad form on forward roll (rings) or something else.

After my last rings WOD I seem to have developed tennis elbow.

So, if I could turn back time:

1. My plan was to continue just to do high pull ups and dips as subtitutes for muscle ups. I think this was a great plan & I almost 99% followed this since I got my first muscle (kipping). But I found I could just pull straight through without kipping. So I was doing that a bit (really, not much at all though). This could have caused the injury. I should not have worked the muscle like this (ie strength muscle up) in the WOD. Just because I could do it, doesn't mean I should!

2. I would not do forward rolls as I know my form is horrible and very jerky on the way down, taking the whole body weight. I learnt: if the movement is really dodgy, don't do it.

3. My other injury was to my thumbs when attempting l-sits on fingers. This felt bad as well (just like the above), but I did it, because I could.

The dilemma is that it is hard to listen to the warning signs as a newb & you can do 'a version' of these fun movements. The danger signs for the above were all there, but I did not act on them. I find I am so busy thinking about the new movement, too excited about my 'ability', that I have ignored those signs.

Anyway, I am now added to the elbow injury list. 4 days later, I still have pain, no training, so it is not looking that good. Before this my upper body felt really good!!! Rehab for my thumb (12 weeks rest) was easy, because I could still do everything exercise wise.

ps oh yeah, on legs I would say don't rush it. I hadn't done a full ROM squat since being a toddler (I am nearly 35) that I can remember. I should have worked just getting ROM before adding in weight, explosive work. Needless to say, my legs aren't feeling better & I am just working very lightly on legs too. Looking back, I would say, just honestly ask yourself where you are and work from there. Don't make the mistake of telling yourself you are better than you are. This is just a lesson I feel I am learning.

Of course all this is as much a result of how I have spent my adult years neglecting my body, at the computer at work for example 8 hours a day.

Just thought I would post as this elbow thing is a bit saddening. I thought I was doing things right. But in hindsight, I was wrong.

Joachim Nagler

You should absolutely NEVER EVER push trough pain!!! Especially in your joints. If you feel that something hurts, take a week off, until its gone! I know this sucks, but what sucks even more is to be forced to take 6 months off...

It's also important to do the prehab exercises coach gave us. I did ssc but didn't do wrist-push-ups so i hurt my wrist...

Edna, its been only 4 days! Just be patient. What helped me a lot was taking fish-oil (like 5-6 capsules a day), maybe it helps you too.

Daniel Bassett

Thanks for the input, guys. So I think I'll just stick to prereq until 2nd edition is published and of course use SSC. I'm too fearful of injury.

As for wrist pushups, I can only perform them against a wall. So weak! For future reference, should I not attempt planche progressions until I can do wrist pushups on the floor? How do you know when your wrists are strong enough? Thanks!

Andrew Lim

Proper floor L-sit before any serious planche work is my understanding. There are more posts on pre-requisities around, I think there is more on this in getting started stickies.

Don't be too scared by injury talk, you can still work really really really hard! Just don't push your movements. Better just to step back if you need to and think about it than try and blast through something.

Just learn from the mistakes and work low progressions to start with. Lower than the book goes is often appropriate & I know people do that here quite a bit.

Thanks for the comments JN12.