Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Human flag and other advanced excersizes.

Tavis G

Hey guys i can hold a full human flag for about 2-3 seconds. What would be some good exersizes for it? Side plank?

1 arm pull/chin. How much strength is needed? Whhat are some excersizes to build for it besides negatives?

Full ROM HSPU. How much strength is needed fo a full rom hspu. Excersizes besides negatives?

Tigerbend HSPU. I need help on this big time! How can i train for it?

Ian Legrow

coach shows the answers to all these questions in his book man. For the human flag one good exercise is slide lever pulls. Those wold be goood for Human flag. The tiger bend question has been asked previously, just type it in the search bar. One arm chin up: negatives and weighted negative are the single best thingsyou can do to train for them, and be patient, becasue you can get some nasty elbow tendonitis. What do you mean How much strength is needed? Its kind of an odd question to answer becasue how much strengthn is needed is enough strength to complete the full ROM of the exercise with good form. Its a difficult question to answer if you want us to put it in terms of weight lifting.

For all the exercises you mentioned the book is full of answers, except the tiger bend, but that was asked about in a different topic.

Im not talking about weight lifting terms, im talking about strength to bodyweiight ratio A.K.A Relative strength

I guess if you can overhead press close to your bodyweight then you should have enough pushing strength to do a HSPU, but you also need a solid handstand which takes skill, balance, and control of your core and body.

Joshua Naterman
Im not talking about weight lifting terms, im talking about strength to bodyweiight ratio A.K.A Relative strength

How, exactly, would you define this without using weights and how would you choose a weight to say without actually lifting it?

Relative strength is always in terms of force per lb or kg of body weight, and since most of us don't have force meters sitting around we have to use weights. That leads to weight lifting terms. Example: Squatting 300 lbs at 150 is 2:1 relative strength, or 2 lbs per lb bw. Do you have a different way of expressing relative strength?

Nic Branson

Sure thing. I can do a pull up at 140lbs therefore my relative strength at least 1:1 with two arms against my own bodyweight..... :roll:

How, exactly, would you define this without using weights and how would you choose a weight to say without actually lifting it?

I guess what i was getting at was how long do you have to train to get these solid and down for show. And the excersizes to help. Btw, what are side lever pulls?

Keegan Yentsch

That's an impossible question to answer. How long it's going to take someone to develop a given gymnastic skill is going to vary greatly depending on their beginning strength levels, nutrition, lever lengths, work capacity, tendon/muscle insertions, ratio of fast twitch to slow twitch muscle fibers, neuromuscular efficiency, age, ***, and so on. The best answer to that question you're going to get is to start training for the skill and see how long it takes you to get there; that's how long it takes YOU to reach that strength level.

Seriously, just buy the BTGB book and start actually diligently training for the skills you want to master instead of obsessing over insignificant details or strength to weight ratios.

Otherwise the answer to you questio is simply "longer than you're willing to put into getting there."

For the OP: Steven Low (forum member braindx) has some ideas about weighted pullup strength and its correlation to other moves in his book "Overcoming Gravity". While this in only supposition on his part from looking at what happened in his own training, it is the closest thing to the answer you were looking for that I think you will get. Look him up.

Hope this helps :)

Keegan Yentsch
(...) *** (...)

LOL :lol:

Did you mean "gender"?

No, gender is a social construct (like race), it changes depending on the society that constructs it, and even from time to time within a given society. Masculinity and femininity are genders.

The word I used, which I guess must be on the "no fly" list (which was unknown to me and used in a totally different context) actually means the physiological/biological difference between male and female (though in some cultures there are more than just two of them to account for different variations of hermaphrodites).

No, gender is a social construct (like race), it changes depending on the society that constructs it, and even from time to time within a given society. Masculinity and femininity are genders.

The word I used, which I guess must be on the "no fly" list (which was unknown to me and used in a totally different context) actually means the physiological/biological difference between male and female (though in some cultures there are more than just two of them to account for different variations of hermaphrodites).

Thats interesting, I had always thought that gender solely referred to male/female. My elementary school teachers need to get their sh*t together :lol:

FREDERIC DUPONT
(...) *** (...)

LOL :lol:

Did you mean "gender"?

Wow baby, great answer, way above my pay grade! :shock:

In Thailand, when you ask the ladyboys about, hummm........ "gender", they reply "yes"! :lol:

Keegan Yentsch

Thats interesting, I had always thought that gender solely referred to male/female. My elementary school teachers need to get their sh*t together :lol:

Common misconception, and the words are frequently used interchangeably in everyday speech, but technically they are not the same thing. Gender refers to the psychological, behavioral, and physical appearance (things like hair length, physical stature, bone structure, make-up, etc...) generally associated with being male or female; the word I used refers to the actual chromosomal make-up/plumbing of an individual.

Joshua Naterman

In Thailand, when you ask the ladyboys about, hummm........ "gender", they reply "yes"! :lol:

:lol::lol::lol: