Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Benefits of levers with arched lumbar spine?

Paradox

Hi, all.

I've been wondering lately if there are any benefits to training the levers with an arched lower back (lumbar curve) purposely as a sort of pre-hab element. The idea recently came to me after seeing the famous picture of John Gill performing a front lever with an obvious natural lumbar curve. Furthermore, upon reading Coach Sommers "Is Spinal Mobility Important" essay, I'm curious as if to there are any spinal benefits to training the lumbar curve levers ?

From one point of view, it seems that the wall bridges placed at the end of some of Coach Sommer's WOD seems to take care of this spinal mobility aspect of training - along with the archup exercises. And for many other people here, yoga, capoeira and other sports can also supplement.

So, is there an injury prevention aspect to curved lumbar levers or will these exercises lead to injury?

By the way, I am currently steady stating some picture perfect flat tuck FL's and BL's :) - so this topic isn't in regards to my own strength. For now, it is a purely a theoretical question!

If anything doesn't make sense, I will gladly clarify. I appreciate any insight!

Joshua Naterman

There is no real benefit to training a lever with an excessively arched lumbar spine. Sometimes the spine looks arched because of the buttocks and back muscles, but in reality it should be fairly flat. This requires good flexibility in the hip flexors as well as good strength and endurance in the entire core musculature.

An arch puts a very, very large amount of force on the inter-vertebral discs due to the unsupported lower body essentially resting on the bones instead of being supported by the muscles. Outside of being damaging and uncomfortable, this also does nothing to develop the strength you need for more difficult work later on.

Arched spines in levers also shortens the lever a little making it a little bit easier and does not look aesthetically pleasing. What about arched spines in squats and deadlifts? Do they also put execessive force on the inter-vertebral discs?

Joshua Naterman

Not quite the same, axial loading is not the same because forces are distributed much more equally on the discs. The spine has a natural S-shape that keeps all the weight-bearing faces parallel when loaded from top to bottom. That is why it is always very important to try and keep the natural shape of the lumbar spine during squats. When the back rounds all the pressure makes the discs move towards the spinal cord and all the pressure is against the back wall of the disc. When that ruptures you have more or less permanent problems.

A true natural arch shouldn't cause problems in a lever, but usually what happens is this arch gets pronounced and the disc can get pinched between two edges of bone. Whether pinched or not, this leads to a small area of the disc having very high forces, often higher than when squatting heavily. You have to be careful. It is easy to be dumb and hurt yourself! It also doesn't require as much strength, making it a poor choice for an actual training element.

Thank you, guys!

That is why it is always very important to try and keep the natural shape of the lumbar spine during squats. When the back rounds all the pressure makes the discs move towards the spinal cord and all the pressure is against the back wall of the disc.

Does this apply to weighted pistol squats? I've been rounding my back on those but it seems necessary for balance in ATG squatting.

Joshua Naterman

Usually the back straightens out on its own as the stomach separates from the thigh on the way up. Super deep movements where there is bridge building (meaning that one part supports another through contact) follow slightly different rules during the parts of the ROM where the abdomen is actively in contact with the thighs. This is why you can't carry super heavy barrels without rounding your back around them, yet you never see injuries with this when the barrel is actually held firmly against the torso. The barrel supports the spine, much as the thigh supports the spine at the bottom of a pistol. Some people have enough ankle mobility to be able to keep a straight back, but there is usually some lumbar flexion at the very bottom. Your options are A) don't go quite that low or B) make sure you are straightening out properly as you come up.