Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

4 Days vs. 3 Days

Quick Start Test Smith

Quick Start Test Smith

Hi Forum!

I'm currently doing the WODs and they are working pretty well for me. Since I want to eventually become an shockingly scary fighter :twisted: I have to balance technical practice and physical conditioning. Clearly the physical conditioning is extremely important, but I am always seeking to add more technical practice because that is where I actually use my physical condition and apply it to becoming a better fighter.

Since I follow the WODs, I train physical conditioning Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. I usually have only one intense private training session (not part of a class or anything of that sort) a day but on Monday's, Thursdays, and Fridays I will spar and teach for a total of 4-8 hours a week (most of that is teaching, though).

That leaves Wednesday and Saturday for my long technique practice sessions, which, due to some very helpful suggestions here, are about 4 hours long and light enough to prevent any asthmatic reaction. I get a lot done in these sessions and maintain a very steady and constant pace at which I can complete the whole workout. It may sound like a long time for a single session but the time passes quite quickly and I do not feel overly-tired afterwards.

Quite a few members have been discussing or have mentioned 3 day a week routines over the WODs 4 day a week routine over the last few weeks. I am a beginner in GB strength training but I scale the WODs fairly well I think so that I can complete each one. I scale them enough so that I can do them but that the difficulty is still 7-9 on a scale of 1-10.

I am doing well on the WODs and getting bigger and stronger; however, sometimes I wonder if I could compact them into a three day routine and practice technique stuff three times a week instead of twice. Sometimes I wonder if I should try to lay a better base of strength like get 10-15 consecutive pull ups, chin ups, dips, 3x60s hollow hold and other pre-reqs (the pre-reqs are extremely, extremely slow in developing for me), etc. before continuing on. Sometimes new members who are capable of tons of pull ups seem to be able to progress very quickly. Then again, the WODs are so fantastically designed that sometimes I am inclined to just say, "Just follow the program that a really smart coach already wrote!"

What do you think? Is it possible to compact the WODs? What are the benefits of 3 day versus 4 day for beginner in strength?

I will continue to follow them and my other training in the meantime. :)

Thanks!

Rik de Kort

Depends on what your priorities are, but in regards to fighting, you'd do well with a good strength base. However, depending on the sport you may also need a lot of skill practice (something like judo). So since your strength base doesn't seem up to par yet, I think you'd do well with the 4x a week WOD schedule for strength gains.

Lack of strength will limit technique. But lack of technique won't limit strength (unless that technique is gymnastics and you're using horrible form :P). So personally, I'd stay with the schedule you have now.

Joachim Nagler

You could alternate weekly between 3 and 4 days, that way you would get more technical practice and i don't think it would make that much difference in terms of strength gains...

Also you could do WODs on three days and some high rep work or targeting your weaknesses on that 4 day, if you feel like you need it. Or you make this your fun-day and do whatever you like, even something that isn't directly related to your goals, so you can get your head free, which also helps with progress sometimes ;)

Quick Start Test Smith

Rik de Kort: Good points.

JN12: Those are good suggestions. I enjoy all my practice sessions so I don't need a fun day, however, alternating between a f4 day and 3 day week may be workable!

Thanks!