Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Adjustable dumbbells vs Weighted Vest

BldyKnuckles89

BldyKnuckles89

Just lookin for a little insight here...

I've been contemplating about getting either a pair of 50 lb adjustable dumbbells (NOT Bowflex) or a 40 lb weighted vest. The dumbbells would cost around $140 for a pair, and the vest would cost around $70. I understand that a vest is pretty much strictly bodyweight/movement based exercises, whereas the dumbbells can be used for more "isolated" exercises, like tricep extensions and the like. I realized if I went with the dumbbells I could just use an old backpack if I wanted to do weighted pull-ups, push-ups, etc. I'd like to know any thoughts on this if anyone has any. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Joshua Naterman

I'd get a plate vest so you can just put random heavy crap, like weight plates, in it. Regular vests are good too, but there's something nice about having a vest that can go everywhere with you and not weigh you down in transit.

I'd also recommend a really good pair of adjustable dumbbells if they are within your budget, but I have never seen a decent pair at that price, even for 30 lbs each. They are very useful and save lots of space! What brand were you looking at?

BldyKnuckles89

Haha yeah it does seem expensive doesn't it? I just try thinking of it as more of an investment than anything. And to Joshua, I checked on Ebay and there's a few seller's who are selling the dumbbells I've been looking at. They're by no means anything special, they're just a pair of dumbbell bars with 100 lbs worth (total) of iron weights and collars that screw on (nothing like the Bowflex brand). I have been looking on craigslist and DIY websites for plate vests and there's a few out there. But being a full time college student/worker I haven't got the time :P I do appreciate the insight guys! Keep it comin!

Joshua Naterman

Gotcha! As long as you have solid collars to hold the weights, those are pretty nice. You'll have to keep your workouts simple or get a few different pairs, but that's a good investment I think.

I will say, I think it is 100% worthwhile to get the Bowflex 55 lb pair. I think they make a pair that goes up to 90 or so in 5 lb increments, which is also fantastic. They are expensive, but are solid pieces of equipment based on my limited hands-on time with them and are a solid investment if you aren't going to throw them onto the floor at the end of each set.

Nic Branson

**looks down at dumbbells. 1.5" pair, 2" pair, 2.5" pair and the Big Boys that hold 200lbs ea**...Yeap got dumbbells..

Nic Branson
Gotcha! As long as you have solid collars to hold the weights, those are pretty nice. You'll have to keep your workouts simple or get a few different pairs, but that's a good investment I think.

I will say, I think it is 100% worthwhile to get the Bowflex 55 lb pair. I think they make a pair that goes up to 90 or so in 5 lb increments, which is also fantastic. They are expensive, but are solid pieces of equipment based on my limited hands-on time with them and are a solid investment if you aren't going to throw them onto the floor at the end of each set.

If you buy the bow flex ones do not drop them. I've seen bad things happen to them.

Joshua Naterman

Lol yes, I've heard the bowflex ones are not made for... shall we say... vigorous use? The Ironmaster ones are bulletproof though.

• 2 weeks later...
BldyKnuckles89

A few years back I've used the Bowflex db's but I didn't like 'em. Can't remember why, but I just didn't care for 'em much. I'd rather have weights that are solid iron with a steel handle and collars. My wife and I are getting a two bedroom apartment...hello weight room :)

FREDERIC DUPONT
(...) ...hello weight room :)

ROFL... have you talked to your wife about your plans yet? :D:D

• 2 weeks later...
BldyKnuckles89

Of course I did! haha She's even suggested putting in a wall mounted punching bag :)

• 4 weeks later...
BldyKnuckles89

I got the dumbbells instead. I figured I could just chuck em into an old backpack and it turned out quite well! I also got a wall mount for my punching bag...WHICH IS INSTALLED!!!!! :D

A vest spreads the weight better than a backpack, especially if you are gonna run or jump around. Not really as big of an issue if you're just doing weighted pullups and dips and Muscle-Ups. You can do the sandbag in a backpack trick, even sealed in a filler bag but it will move around.

Usually the mini DB bars with spinlocks work fine for slow DB movements but are sketchy with stuff like swings, cleans, and snatches. That's where the Soloflex ones shine.