Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Weak Wrist help

Travis Goode

Travis Goode

Alright so I've been pushing more with strength lately and I've discovered my wrists are extremely weak after working handstands usually hold one for 1-2 mins and my wrists are hurting slightly so i stop and go on with other things but then of course one day spotting my wrist just gave out and put me in a brace for several months to continue coaching. so whats something i could pick do so that my wrists are stronger and don't hurt from handstands weight lifting etc?

As a side note my wrists do not bother me at all when tumbling just when lifting weights handstands and things of that nature

• 2 months later...

Find a wall, Wall HS volume. Don't work near max hold. Start off with as few as 3 to maybe 5 or 7 holds @ 50-75% of your max.

Basically you just need to be on your hands more.

Coming from my experience with barbell and olympic lifting, the more you use a bar, the less it will make your wrists sore. If you don't use a bar very often, you'll always deal with this to some degree until they are warmed up.

• 3 weeks later...

When I first started I worked my wrist like this....

News paper on table with one hand start to scrunch the news paper starting at the corner and making a ball with the paper. Do this with about 10 sheets.

Push ups normally but when u ascend (push up) try to press into the floor with your finger tips. Doing so will sort of push you up where it looks like you are on your finger tips breifly. (this really helped me with faster handsprings :))

From trial and error handstands are a balance act performed by small adjustments between your fingertips pressing into the floor when you feel your fallng foward and the palm acting as a support. So if you strengthen your hands and fingers you will find that less stress will be put on your wrist.

yuri marmerstein
When I first started I worked my wrist like this....

News paper on table with one hand start to scrunch the news paper starting at the corner and making a ball with the paper. Do this with about 10 sheets.

This can be performed with a towel also if you don't want to deal with the waste

The best exercise I found for wrist rehab is the rice bucket, as it rushes the blood to the wrist and strengthens the joint from every angle.

Spending more time on your hands will help, just keep at it. Another option is to do handstands on a decline to relieve some of the pressure on the wrists until you get used to it.

if course improving wrist flexibility should probably be your priority. Soft tissue work of the forearm should help as well

Parth Rajguru

I've found that wrist extensor work is crucial to maintaining healthy wrists for handbalancing and Gymnastic Strength Training™. It should be done atleast 3 times per week.

The best exercise I found for wrist rehab is the rice bucket, as it rushes the blood to the wrist and strengthens the joint from every angle.

Spending more time on your hands will help, just keep at it. Another option is to do handstands on a decline to relieve some of the pressure on the wrists until you get used to it.

if course improving wrist flexibility should probably be your priority. Soft tissue work of the forearm should help as well

Using a rice bucket is way underrated. It's been one of the best additions to my workout since I've added it. It helps warm up wrists/forearms and actually helped me eliminate pain from forearm splints.