Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Question about submaximal training

Guest Ragnarok

Guest Ragnarok

I found these posts from slizzardman:

"So anyways, higher rep work is only part of getting big for nearly all natural athletes. You also need to get stronger, so you will be doing some sets of 2-5 reps (in my gym you would only do 2 reps with a weight you can do 3-4 good reps with for 5-10 sets for this strength work)"

"That is definitely pushing it to the limit. If you are going to do, for example, 5 sets of 5 reps, you should be using a weight or variation that you know you can get 7-8 good reps with. That 5th rep should not be your last good rep unless it is set # 4 or 5."

"The purpose is to not fry your body. We are not capable of back to back maximum efforts, and once you do one you are going to perform at a lower level for a while. That's partially a safety mechanism and partially an energy system thing, depending on what you're doing. Submaximal training always gets better results. It is the basis of the most successful lifting programs in existence, and for good reason. It has always worked, and always will, because it follows the basic rules of how the body works and reacts to stress."

So is stopping at 5 reps on a set, when your max good form reps would be 7-8, submaximal training?

How much would you rest between sets?

I'm just confused because i want to do what slizzardman says in those quotes. I want to do submaximal strength training because he says it always gets better results and it is the basis of the most successful lifting programs in existence. But i want all the details, like how much to rest between sets, when to increase weight/reps, how many times a week to do it, etc.

Also confusing is to read somewhere else that if you're going to do 5x5, you pick a weight/variation that only lets you do 5 good reps max, and then you do those 5 max reps on each set resting 3-5 min.

FREDERIC DUPONT
(...) Also confusing is to read somewhere else that if you're going to do 5x5, you pick a weight/variation that only lets you do 5 good reps max, and then you do those 5 max reps on each set resting 3-5 min.

"somewhere else" is mistaken: if your max is 5 good reps, you will not be able to do 25 good ones in 20-25 minutes (counting 5 minutes rest between sets of 5). That would be "back to back max efforts" which is not possible.

In other words, if you can do it, the exercise or load you chose was not your true 5 reps max.

Guest Ragnarok
(...) Also confusing is to read somewhere else that if you're going to do 5x5, you pick a weight/variation that only lets you do 5 good reps max, and then you do those 5 max reps on each set resting 3-5 min.

"somewhere else" is mistaken: if your max is 5 good reps, you will not be able to do 25 good ones in 20-25 minutes (counting 5 minutes rest between sets of 5). That would be "back to back max efforts" which is not possible.

In other words, if you can do it, the exercise or load you chose was not your true 5 reps max.

Does "back to back max efforts" mean you won't be able to get the same amount of reps as in the first set with 3-5 min rest? What exactly does it mean?

FREDERIC DUPONT

Yes, that is exactly what it means; it is the reason it is advised to chose a load that is your 7 or 8 rep max to do 5 sets of 5. :)