Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Maintenance

Edward Smith

Speaking of cables, I have found and created this system of simulated movements with what I call 'the elastic rings'. It is basicly a pair of extreme rings hooked to heavy duty elastic bands and anchored to the wall. (swedish bars are excelent here since changing the height of the anchor is easyly done)

One of the best movements using the elastic rings is a maltese/victorian simulated flies (or press) with a straight arm. The elastic will increase in tension the closer you get to the required joint angle, the feel is the same as in ring work since you are gripping the rings (and even using a false grip) and the ability to manipulate the required tension is easy - distance yourself more or less from the anchor point.

All you need is a pair of extreme rings and two good elastic bands. (I use Dowyser Bands from Germany) The amount of simulated and auxilery exercises one is able to do with the elastic rings is incredible. This is a great supplement for heavy ring work and will promote balance, joint health, mobility and weak-link conditioning, if implemented correctly.

Try it and let me know what you think,

Ido.

Ido, this would have been a good post for a new thread as it will probably get lost in here. I've just finished doing an 8 week program with cables that included a lot of straight arm movements. I was doing an 8 week, 3x3 rest pause program for strength and made some excellent gains in the 2 months, easily the strongest I have ever been. I only have a few sets of metal spring chest expanders which give a similar feel to the ring handles as they are a similar diameter. I anchor them to various points on an old multi gym. The weight stack of 250lbs on the multi gym provides a sturdy enough base although I can drag it across the garage floor doing one arm flyes so I think I shall bolt the whole thing to the garage floor.

Paul.