Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

ACL injuries in gymnastics?

sn0wdude

I have torn my ACL three times. Currently I am three months into my physical therapy after the third surgery. I read Gymnastic bodies about 5 months ago and began a beginner program but then after my ACL reconstruction surgery I stopped to concentrate on my physical therapy for my knee. I am completely sold on the Gymnastic Bodies philosophy on strength training. In all other sports ACL injuries are very prevalent. But in all my research on ACL injuries I have yet to hear anything about gymnasts experiencing this kind of injury. And with all those hard landings from spins and flips you would think they would be more prevalent in gymnastics. So my question is, are ACL injuries prevalent in gymnastics too? Because if not, I think I just might have found my new way of working out my legs. Because obviously, after three surgeries, what I am doing now is not working.

I've known gymnasts with blown out knees and ACL's. Ex gymnasts mind you. I've also known and heard of athletes competing after a blow out. Just depends.

I guess what Im getting at is, how prevalent are ACL injuries in gymnastics compared to other sports? Does the gymnast style leg training that Coach Sommer prescribe in his book have any more benefits to stable knees than other sports? Or is all the specialized sport training for knees the same? Personally I think Coach's approach to legs WILL help much more then just doing the typical powerlifts/bodybuilding style (not to take these out completely, but just concentrate more on the plyometrics and single leg balance side of things that is talked about in the book). My other hope for this post was to see if anyone had any advice based on first hand experience with ACL tears (in my case, multiple tears) and how to go about preventative maintenance this time around. I know in the back of my head I have heard and read everything there is to read about preventing ACL tears, so I should probably stop looking for that miracle fix and just get to work. I just do not want to go through another injury like this again, so Im kinda desperate to find that perfect knee strengthening program.

FREDERIC DUPONT
(...) I should probably stop looking for that miracle fix and just get to work (...)

Wow, here is a novel idea... :)

Sorry to hear about your consecutive injuries sn0wdude; did it happen skiing or snowboarding? (asking because of your board name)

Fred

Haha, well I already am getting to work, just doing what my therapist tells me for now, after september I'll be on my own. Well the first time, I partially tore it in my football all star game. Then a month later finished it snowboarding. Then again a year later playing soccer, then two years later playing basketball (currently rehabbing). Apparently the Boise State orthopedic surgeon drilled my ACL tunnel in the wrong place the first two times. Now I'm living in California and my doctor here says I should be good as new, except for the arthritis starting. Which brings me to another thought, does plyometrics make arthritis worse?