Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

right wrist/forearm pain when doing wrist pushups

juiop

Hello,

I am very worried, I have started doing all this 1.5 months ago and last week I started to get a pain shoot up my wrist/forearm area. This picture below will describe exactly where the pain is. It is not higher than that area, just that area exactly:

9799.jpg

It occurs more when I am moving back up and my wrist is SLOWLY moving back to the normal push up position. I am pretty sure I am doing the movement correctly. Should I stop? Do I have that tendinitis issue? I am very worried :( I was hoping to get really good at this exercise someday...

FREDERIC DUPONT

Yes, if it hurts stop! at once!

Now, there may not be matter to worry too much at this stage, but until you ID the cause of the pain and what it is, stop doing what hurts.

Please tell us a little bit more about this pain, your training background, and what other exercises you have been doing recently outside of push ups, and in what volume. (the "all this" that you started doing a month and a half ago ;))

Can you do push ups without pain on the first knuckle? on push up handles?

Is your wrist hurting when you do other things than push ups?

Fred

Hello, thanks for the reply!

My wrist ONLY hurts doing the wrist push ups. It does NOT hurt while i do all the exercises here (except the wrist push ups of course) -

Although there is some discomfort when doing the stretches at the start. This is my workout, which I do 4x/week (mon,tue,thu,fri and when possible sat too):

- Wrist Exercises from the video above

- Ido Portals two Shoulder prehab routines with therabands

- FSP Pre-requisites - which is 3x20s each of: Plank, Rev Plank, PB Spt (basic l-sit), Wall Handstand, Hollow body hold, overgrip hang, arch body hold, undergrip hang, inverted hang, german hang and plank on ring.

Thats pretty much my routine - the one that most people on this forum follows from looks of it. I also do Ring push ups twice a week coz i suck at push ups lol. thats just 3x3.

I am only working on FSP and pre-req for FSP. So my routine is just Plank, Rev Plank, PB support L-Sit, Handstand against the wall etc. All the pre-requisites. I also do the Ido Portal shoulder mobility exercises 4x a week.

I just tried doing normal push ups too and its fine. Any ideas what it might be?

If I scale down (I was already quite scaled down to begin with, doing wrist push ups on my knees and my knees were just under my hips!), and it doesnt hurt anymore, will it be fine to continue?

Rik de Kort

I'd give it some rest first as well.

I use a knees one-hand variation. So one hand is flipped over and doing a wrist pushup and the other is flat on the ground and doing a normal pushup. Scales very nicely.

Philip Papandrea

Hi Rik,

Just tried that one hand version of scaling and I like it alot. Thanks for the idea. I also hurt my wrist trying to do full wrist pushups before I was ready and it's taken a really long time to heal but I've been back at them with the appropriate scaling and my wrists are feeling good. I've been using the pivot point method. I placed a small bench at my hips and do my wrists pushups. As i've been getting stronger i've been moving the bench back. I'm only at mid thigh at the moment. Scale back Juiop and take your time and you should be fine. You could also try getting all the trigger points out of your forearms which helped me.

Phil

Can you explain how this bench method works? I am not sure what you mean exactly, thanks.

I didnt think you had to do any of these methods for scaling back. My version of scaling back was just moving your knees more forward so that its under the hip. So to make it harder you move your knees back more so that its behind the hip. Does that make sense? Having the knees under the hip made it really easy as there virtually no resistance at all.

Philip Papandrea

Your version of scaling could work also. I understand what you mean. I place a box that is maybe a foot high under my hips as im in the pushup position to support my weight and do my wrist pushups. As I get stronger I move that box back further towards my knees and eventually ankles until I don't need the box to support my weight. At that point i will be doing full wrist pushups. Just another version to try.