Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Overhead press strength

ScottyG978

ScottyG978

So I'm a competitive cheerleader and of course we spend a lot of time holding girls above our heads by ourselves. I REALLY need a lot more shoulder strength and control when doing this. Ideally, Handstand pushups would be the ultimate test of strength for this as if I can press my own 170 lb self a few times then a 100-ish lb girl will be ridiculously easy and the more difficult stunts will become more attainable. I remember reading somewhere on here that the fastest way to build strength for handstand pushups is simply holding a handstand?..with bent arms also? Is this correct?? How long/often should I be doing this and how much 'bend' should I place in my arms? Also, do I bend my arms out to the side or point my elbows in front of me in the same direction? If someone could just break this down for me that would be awesome!

I'm sure there are other and probably better ways than my method but i'll put it here anyway:

Handstand stomach to wall 30s-> lower your head a about a quarter of the way down hold 5s -> lower another quarter of the way hold 5s -> lower another quarter hold 5s (this one for me is the real hard one) -> lower into headstand.

I try and make my descent as slow as possible, especially for the last 2.

don't flare your elbows out to the side and keep your body really tight.

Keep in mind that i can only do single headstand pushups against the wall, still this method really worked well for me and is really time efficient imo.

Sailor Venus

Handstand on a pair of rings. Shoulders will BURN more than it would doing it on the floor. Hook a pair of Xtreme rings on a squat rack or a overhead bar, hook your legs on the bar, drop down to reach and hold the rings. I can't do a handstand on rings the normal way so thats why I hook my legs on something above me.