Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

PPP or adjusted pl pushups?

Ian Myers

Hi guys,

Im about to start a new ssc, and was wondering what you thought would be more beneficial, PPP on the rings, or tuck planche pushups on paralletes. Thanks in advance!

Rik de Kort

If your main goal is planche pushups, I think PPP will work better. If you have no such aspirations but only want static planche, all the more practice you can get in the hold is better (upto a certain point where it starts becoming bad practice, overreaching etc.).

So it depends. :P

Just in general which one would build more strength? I understand if this question can't be answered :)

Joshua Naterman
Just in general which one would build more strength? I understand if this question can't be answered :)

Why on earth wouldn't you be doing both?!

Why on earth wouldn't you be doing both?!

\

I will be, just with differing frequencies, but the main reason I am asking the question is because after reading a few planche related topics, I've heard a few knowledgeable people express dislike for the ppps. Dillon was one, I cant remember the others off the top of my head :?

John Sapinoso

I'm not a fan of PPP at all. PPP is too easy to lose the scapular connection and cheat on. Do the the real thing on the bars.

Kyle Devlin

I'm also interested in which one would be a better tool. Since PPP are commonly done incorrectly, planche (even in a tuck) would be more beneficial? And even PPP+ are disliked for the same reason? My biggest question would be if (assuming both are actually done right) one is ultimately better than the other.

When you say hollow, do you mean jusr the stomach or pressing the shoulders forward like in dillons post on pl leans?

Joshua Naterman
I'm not a fan of PPP at all. PPP is too easy to lose the scapular connection and cheat on. Do the the real thing on the bars.

I talked to Dillon a few days ago and we discussed something very similar. We both agree that if you actually perform PPP correctly then you get enormously strong, like whoa...

To me, it is good to practice PPP for the exact reason that John isn't a huge fan... they require a lot of attention to form. This reinforces the CNS training that we need. You can easily, easily make the exact same argument for nearly every weightlifting exercise in existence, from C/J to front squats to bench press to biceps curls. I don't think any of us are going to suggest that these aren't good exercises to practice, we would probably all say "Pay attention to form, and only do what you can do with good form!"

The actual planche push ups are also easy to lose the scapular connection in, and even easier to lose the lat contribution. Doesn't mean I don't think they are a good exercise, I just impose the same limitation: Only do them perfectly, and pay lots of attention to what you are doing!

Aaron Griffin
I talked to Dillon a few days ago and we discussed something very similar. We both agree that if you actually perform PPP correctly then you get enormously strong, like whoa...

So then - can you describe correct form in a concise way? I imagine I'm performing them incorrectly, but I like them a lot.

Joshua Naterman

I am actually about to head home, so I will probably shoot a video. That's the only really good way to describe these, I think. Written words... just don't work so well.

I am actually about to head home, so I will probably shoot a video. That's the only really good way to describe these, I think. Written words... just don't work so well.

thanks slizz!