Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Problem with Ring Dips

Patrick Keogh

Patrick Keogh

I am just starting out doing ring dips, but I find they put too much pressure on the outside part of my elbows as I am lowering down. I start with the rings turned out at the top, turn them in a little as I try to lower, but before I get too far down I feel a lot of pressure/strain on the outsides of my elbows.

I'm thinking this is a technical problem I am having with the rings as I can do parallel bar dips no problem. I do them weighted and come right down so my shoulders touch my hands. Also, I can do dips without this problem using straps. The straps are basically like the straps for the rings, but instead of having the ring itself attached, there is a straight rubber grip? about the width of you hand which you hold (sorry if this is hard to picture) but the difference basically is that using this, there is no top of the ring which is pushing against my forearms.

Is there something I am doing wrong here when I am performing dips on the rings? Has anyone else experienced this problem before? Any advice on how to correct this?

Thanks

Patto

Have you done the dips that come earlier in Coach's progression?

Patrick Keogh

Yeah I'm ok with other types of dips. Just seems to be when I try them on the rings...

And no i only have the rings turned out at the top, when I am in the support position. I turn them in a little as I lower myself.

Philip Chubb

If you can do them on pbars, and the straps of the rings, but not the rings themselves, maybe try checking the way your wrist is aligned on the rings. I can do a planche on the rings but sometimes when I do them, I get a sharp pain in my wrist. I simply adjust the ring positioning (anchor point) and adjust the position of my hands on the rings. Then I feel just fine. Perhaps that may help?

Patrick Keogh

Alex, Yeah that is more what I am thinking is the problem. It just seems to be when the top of the ring is pushing into my forearm. I think I need to play around with the angle of things so that there is less pressure there. So position of my hands and especially the angle of my forearms. Will give those things more of a look next time...

thanks

Vincent Stoyas

If the ring is touching your forearm then your grip is wrong. there's a thread somewhere that shows correct hand placement, i'm just busy and can't find it for you right now.

Philip Chubb
Alex, Yeah that is more what I am thinking is the problem. It just seems to be when the top of the ring is pushing into my forearm. I think I need to play around with the angle of things so that there is less pressure there. So position of my hands and especially the angle of my forearms. Will give those things more of a look next time...

thanks

I can't see your exact problem but the ring shouldn't be touching your forearm. A quick fix will probably be to space the rings out apart further. An inch or two is the difference for me.

Patrick Keogh

Yeah thanks guys, thought I must have been doing something wrong.

Just on the position of the rings.... when you set the rings up, how far apart should they be? I saw somewhere a guy recommended the length of your forearm plus a few inches... Anyone have advice as to how far apart they should be positioned?

Michael Traynor
Yeah thanks guys, thought I must have been doing something wrong.

Just on the position of the rings.... when you set the rings up, how far apart should they be? I saw somewhere a guy recommended the length of your forearm plus a few inches... Anyone have advice as to how far apart they should be positioned?

Rings should be set up 50cm apart.

Nic Branson

It does make a noticeable difference. Mine are about 18-20in apart and with some movements I cannot keep them off the forearms very well. There is little to no pressure just the annoyance of knowing it is not 100% correct. If you cannot move them further apart just keep in mind if you're using them to assist or they are just brushing against you.