Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Icing elbows after straight arm work

anhkun

Nice!

There is laboratory research that shows post-workout icing prevents around 90% of post-workout protein breakdown. That's a massive difference.

As I have written before, I have used various hydrotherapy routines to great effect, personally. The straight cold is generally only recommended for extremely hard sessions, which was sadly not part of the study.

The results are very interesting. Even though the supply arteries got smaller in the cooling group, performance increased very close to what the control group experienced, close enough in everything except the VO2max tests to be nearly identical. Still, the small statistical disadvantage in maximal strength accrual and

It is unfortunate that untrained persons were used, and it is unfortunate that the study time was so short. A similar study with trained track athletes would be better. At the very least, use protocols designed to be in DOMS zone to see what the effects are. It would also be good to test whether the specific protocols that have been recommended by Kurz and others actually have the effects claimed.

A contrast bath study seems like the next logical step to me, at least as far as determining the physiological effects on untrained persons. Research like this is a good first step in asking more questions and performing studies more relevant to the athletic community at large.

i know this quote was taking from AGES ago but was wondering if icing elbow joint right after straight arm work would be beneficial. would it help prevent scarring + protein breakdown of the tendons?

Nic Branson

I would do it as a contrast. It is helpful for the muscles but can be the reverse for tendons / joints. Slowing the circulation to the area can be detrimental if taken to extremes. The contrast works to stimulate circulation while bringing down the internal temperature of the area.