Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Introducing cross work around the WODS

Chris Edgar

Chris Edgar

Hi there! I've been on the WODs for the past 5-6 months and have been training BtGB for the past 18-24 months...

Whilst I haven't quite completed Coach's list of pre-reqs for the iron cross; I did read in one of his posts, that alongside the straight arm bicep conditioning, he finds it acceptable for athletes to start implementing strap assisted cross pulls and static holds into their training.

I'm currently taking my time with the XR HS portion of the pre-reqs, as i still haven't quite got the trap strength to fully open my shoulders and increase my hold times much past 30s, but with all the back lever training ( i have a full lay) and planche leans I'm doing my biceps feel fine.

After having to back track on more than one occasion, I am in no rush, but it would be nice to start training this element, if for nothing else but the fact that a cross is badass and it would give me that little boost of motivation since my progress has seemed to taper off a bit recently.

As the WODs are already quite intensive and focus on alot of things, I think it's common sense to start with a very small volume and build up slowly... so i was thinking about just adding a few sets of assisted static holds and cross pulls on ring strength workouts (after ring str series and before statics) and on embedded static days (as long as its before back lever and planche), this would mean only twice a week with effectively a deload week with one session every three weeks.

So what do you guys reckon? smart, safe way to start to train for the cross? or is the egomonster getting greedy again?

Cheers,

Chris

Philip Chubb

I would really get that PL and Press HS on the rings first. Really, what have you got to lose by playing it safe. Both are cool skills that will still make peoples eyes explode and make them write songs about your glory. PLUS, they will help prevent you from being injured when you actually begin Iron Cross work. Just my unscientific 2 cents.

Chris Edgar

Thank you for your reply! :)

It's a fair point Alex and one I should probably take on. One of the hardest parts of this program is sticking out the underload phase, we all know the benefits, but sometimes you just can't help yourself but try and jump the gun abit. I probably don't have anything like the trap and chest strength to hold a cross anyway, so it is still a pipe dream for now. I've noticed a huge increase in trap strength (and hypertrophy :wink: )from proper wall HS and box press HS, and it almost feels quite bizzare having traps strong enough to press the body up into a HS now that I am getting closer and closer to 'feeling' the movement. I can see how the whole scapulae would have to be very strongly stabilized during a cross and it almost feels similar. So the press handstand is definitely a good shout and one i probably should nail down first, at least straddle press from the floor.. (I'm 6' 3"). I might just start 'playing' with some light strap crosses on rest days or weekends, I did a similar thing with handstands, it's good fun and helped no end!

cheers, Chris.