Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Flexibility/Stretching

John-Paul Potter

John-Paul Potter

Hi All,

I sure i read in an article somewhere that coach sommers recommended active flexibility and dynamic stretching movements for the older person starting out with gymnastics training due to restricted movement from performing general day to day activities. Can anyone give me some examples that would most benefit a beginner?

P.S. is it best to stretch before/after/or before and after workout as in the past i seem to have the uncanny ability to pick up an injury just looking at a piece of exercise apperatus and wish to minimize the risk of injury while starting my new gymnastic routine (received my xtreme rings the other day very excited :o)?

Best regards JPP

Warm up effectively before a workout. Dynamic stretching predominantly with possibly a few static stretches depending on what they are. I like having my back and shoulders fairly loose before I tumble or swing.

Static stretch post workout which could include some dynamic stretching to loosen up again an area if it has gotten stiff through the workout.

In my warmup, I generally do heel/calf raises/rocks, leg swings ( which also loosen up my lower back ) stick dislocates, hanging on a bar and swinging in the hips and through the shoulders as well as doing it sideways. Some lunges and squats, holding the bottom of a pistol, wrist and shoulder prevention, shoulder bridge>head bridge>hand bridge. Generally some yoga pushups in there as well besides bar/stick squats and deadlifts ( light to no weight ).

I might possibly do straddle sit to middle split on stomach and straddle circles with my feet and pike hip flexor lifts. Possibly some half front split and lunge stretch as well. By the time I do all this, my legs are warmed up enough I can pretty much hit the full ROM in my splits if I wanted to.

I'll generally throw a yoga plow/basket stretch toward the end before or after the bridging. Sometimes a headstand after that and some handstand work.

John-Paul Potter

Thanks Blairbob much appreciated. Looks as though i had a lack of dynamic stretching in warm-up routine will incorporate into my workout tonight. :)

Dynamic stretching also warms the heart a bit more effectively in my opinion so I don't have to worry so much about that angle as well.