Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

correct shoulder movement for dips / hspu

palmcron

Hi,

What is correct form when starting the negative movement?

In a handstand (starting position of HSPU) the shoulders should be shrugged, in a support the shoulders should be pressed down. When starting a dip or HSPU it feels natural for me, to first lower in the shoulders before bending the elbow.

I noticed that for regular pushups this is not the case and even feels strange when trying it.

I hope, I could explain my question good enough ;)

Regards,

palmcron

This is a good question that im interested in too. And when doing HSPU's should my shoulders always be shrugged in the whole movement? or with starting position shrugged shoulders(elevated scapulas) and when going down should i depress the scapula in the shoulder socket?

Thanks in advanced!

• 2 weeks later...
Martin de Jesus Ponce Robaldino

As you both ask, i'm also interested in knowing the anser to this question, i think is something hasn't been discussed...

Rik de Kort

I think it has been discussed. For dips, you want your scapula depressed and for HSPU elevated. Keep them neutral as far as protraction and retraction go. I think. Not really sure, but it seems logical.

You want the shoulders to be depressed during the pressing portion of a HSPU. You can keep them depressed the whole time while doing reps, but you can also choose to elevate and come into a full handstand.

The amount of protraction / retraction can vary, but for PB dips will tend towards retraction. HSPU is a more complicated movement that will start pressing up out of the bottom retracted and end protracted to some degree.

So during pressing motion for both dips and hspu, the shoulder should be against the direction of gravity right?

Nic Branson

Learn to press "with" your lats. Use them along with scapular control to keep your shoulders where you want them. Takes some time but very much worth learning.