Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

upper chest development

Ian Myers

Ian Myers

I've noticed that while my lower chest continues to grow, the upper portion of my pectorals stays the same. Am I missing something, or is this normal?(I don't really mind from am aesthetic point of view, but if I'm missing strength I wanna do something about it)

Nic Branson

If you're doing the skill progressions as laid out then you're good. The development is balancing out. They are getting worked and as you go further, specifically with wider hand placements you'll feel your entire chest contract strongly.

Daniel Burnham

I noticed this difference too and it's pretty big. My lower chest is fairly developed while my upper chest is still hollow. Im sure the harder progressions will add more upper development but I've also added in incline dumbell presses to try to even it out some.

Daniel Burnham
Don't get so caught up in the aesthetics and read them as strengths/weakness. Like Nic said, if you are doing everything right, then your body will be in balance.

Agreed but in my case it I think it is due to some bad posture issues that have emphasized the lower chest over the upper in my training. So I've added some training to my upper chest while I correct my posture.

I think HSPU, inverted cross, bowers, and planche press to HS have more upper chest emphasis than other gymnastics exercises.

Ian Myers
I think HSPU, inverted cross, bowers, and planche press to HS have more upper chest emphasis than other gymnastics exercises.

Yeah I imagine that last one will get the job done when the time comes :)

Daniel Burnham

This type of imbalanced development is usually due to incorrect form or poor training construction. Occasionally genetics may also cause a certain imbalance in musculature, but I believe this is rare at least in extreme forms.

In my case the imbalance between upper and lower chest is due to the failure to hold a correct hollow form in my training. This was confirmed by our own Josh Natterman. I would say to try to revisit your form in you movements by using a slower tempo. This is the same advice that was given to me. While you are developing better form and trying to progress to harder movements ,you can also strengthen the weak areas using isolation methods such as bands or dumbells.

In my case ppp or just leaning a bit forwArd while doing pushups and slow tempo solved this problem.