Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Quick Q: L Sit and 1-Legged Squat

ryantherobot

For an L to count in Coach's workout does the student have to hold the legs straight out from the ground or once up? I begin timing once they are straight but I have to slightly bend my knees to lift up and then straighten them out. Is keeping them straight from the ground something I should be working towards?

For 1-Legged Squat my problem is my left leg which seems to me strange because I'm left handed and my left leg is my more powerful leg. But I guess maybe its from doing Taekwondo for so long my right leg is more use to balancing while my left leg does a larger percentage of my kicking. What is a good way to get my left leg up to the level my right leg is at?

George Launchbury

Hi ryantherobot,

For an L to count in Coach's workout does the student have to hold the legs straight out from the ground or once up? I begin timing once they are straight but I have to slightly bend my knees to lift up and then straighten them out. Is keeping them straight from the ground something I should be working towards?

I would say start counting once you are in the position of maximum contraction/resistance. If you cannot lift them straight, then you are not quite strong enough to do so. So, yes - that is something you should work toward. Generally speaking one can hold more than they can lift, and lower (under control) more than they can hold. Even if you can only hold the position with bent knees period, that is fine too. The point is to hold the hardest position you can, with good form, for the prescribed times. Hamstring flexibility is a factor here too.

For 1-Legged Squat my problem is my left leg which seems to me strange because I'm left handed and my left leg is my more powerful leg. But I guess maybe its from doing Taekwondo for so long my right leg is more use to balancing while my left leg does a larger percentage of my kicking. What is a good way to get my left leg up to the level my right leg is at?

One suggestion is to start doing odd sets. Start with the left, and end with the left. Your right will not get the same volume of work that the left does, but will be at least enough to maintain, if not still improve slightly, while the left catches up.

Keep up the good work.

Regards,

George.

I would think that doing the same volume and intensity for both left and right legs would bring them into balance, although at a slow pace. Doing more volume for the weaker limb is also effective. At one point I could curl more with my non-dominant arm than my dominant from simply doing more volume. The key is even if you can do more with the stronger limb, don't.

George Launchbury

Hi JL,

Yes and no. You are correct, but the terminology is a little misleading. I think what you probably mean is that doing an identical workout (in terms of ROM, sets, reps) for both legs would bring them into balance. I will expand on my pedantry... :)

Volume and intensity are relative. In the example of Pistols, the resistance is static (i.e. bodyweight) so intensity would be a measure of difficulty/effort according to ROM used, deeper being harder. Using the same ROM for both legs would result in less intensity for the strong leg, as it would be working at a lower percentage of its max depth. For example, going to 90deg might be 90% of max for the weak leg, but 70% of max for the strong leg. If the intensity is lower for the strong leg, whether you do a matching amount of sets/reps or not, that means less volume (or work done) for that leg.

Hope that makes sense,

George.

P.s. I'd still recommend bringing them into balance quicker by working harder on the weak leg, and basically maintaining the strong leg - thus leaving more "recovery points" available for better gains.

Thanks for the replies, for the L-Seat I can hold my legs straight out the entire time. I simply can't hold them straight while lifting myself up off the floor. Basically bent arms and knees slightly bent then I straighten my arms and then straighten my legs and then can hold for 20 seconds as of last night. (20 seconds with legs straight out). Its the rise part that I can't seem to do while my legs are straight, my hips come up but my feet stay glued to the floor if I try that way.