Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Single Leg Squat Weights

Philip Chubb

Philip Chubb

In BTGB, Coach has one of the progressions for SLS being jumps for height and distance with a weighted vest. Is there a certain percent we are trying to get to in terms of the weight? Or a certain amount we want to stop at to keep the legs from hypertrophing?

People who do back squats always advice a 2x bodyweight squat so is this similar for the single leg squat?

I think I remember Coach saying for HLL his athletes use around 10 to 15 percent of bodyweight. So I am working up to that as well.

Nic Branson

The 2x BW is a guide line for general conditioning in an adult population. Watch toddlers they can jump and roll and jump off the counter etc again and again. Physiologically the stress for them is not the equivalent as an adult who weighs more and is relatively weaker for the stress on their connective tissue.

If you can SLS with good form for 8-10 straight then you can add a little vertical hop. Start slow and respect the stress the jumping causes. Low volume and gradually build it up overtime.

Philip Chubb
If you can SLS with good form for 8-10 straight then you can add a little vertical hop. Start slow and respect the stress the jumping causes. Low volume and gradually build it up overtime.

Thank you for the reply. Yes I have done this for years now. So I have a lot of volume built up on SLS and I already do them jumping. That's why I am asking if there is a certain place in terms of weight to get to. Otherwise, I would be able to add weight indefinitely but that's not what were going for I'm sure.

Quick Start Test Smith

The heaviest I've seen someone do SLS at was about 80-100 lbs. How much do you think you can do now?

Philip Chubb
The heaviest I've seen someone do SLS at was about 80-100 lbs. How much do you think you can do now?

I have no idea really. I am actually looking to get a good adjustable weighted vest for this exact reason.

Joshua Naterman

I have no idea really. I am actually looking to get a good adjustable weighted vest for this exact reason.

SOmething to remember with jumping is that you always want it to be the fastest, most explosive movement possible. Once you figure out what your max jump is onto a block that's whatever distance away, try adding 1/4 lb at a time until you can notice a slight difference, and work with that for a while until the difference is gone. You really do want to make very small adjustments with SLS jumps so that you don't start losing the explosiveness.

Philip Chubb

SOmething to remember with jumping is that you always want it to be the fastest, most explosive movement possible. Once you figure out what your max jump is onto a block that's whatever distance away, try adding 1/4 lb at a time until you can notice a slight difference, and work with that for a while until the difference is gone. You really do want to make very small adjustments with SLS jumps so that you don't start losing the explosiveness.

Makes perfect sense! Thank you again! Your post have been very helpful.