Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Did anyone had a carpal boss excision?

Vagabond

Hi! I have two big bony bumps on my wrists, and they bother me in my practice of handstands. I think they're due to the accumulation of pommel horse, diving on my hands (per example doing front and three quarters), and recently, hand balancing work. So I want to get them removed. They limit a lot my range of motion for dorsiflexion, which forces me to do straddle l-sits and planches on my fingertips, and it also makes it harder to deal with one arm handstands because it prevents me from having my shoulder over my first knuckle. Because of that, it removes some weight from my fingers, so it is harder to balance properly.

Anyways. I was wondering if anyone else here ever had that problem, and how long it took to recover from it. I spoke about it with a hand balancer who had the same problem and had a surgery in a garage because he didn't have health care. After 8 months, he was doing hand balancing again. So I'd like to know if the full recovery should be a bit faster if I go to a normal hospital (I also don't have health care, but I'm trying to get it now).

Mikael Kristiansen

Hey was that Cory Tabino that you talked to about the surgery in the garage? It cant be too many handbalancers who have done that haha.

I have never done any such surgery, but i know people who have done and gotten full flexion again. I also know severe cases where it did not change the condition much. I think if it limits your training and it means a lot to you, you should definitely check it out.

Vagabond, sounds like ganglion cysts (which are usually mobile to some degree, tend to hurt during cold weather and may fluctuate in size) , quite common especially on the dorsum of the wrist. Old time treatment is to hit it with a large book popping the cyst, although this is a temporary treatment as usually the cysts come back and sometimes more aggressive. I had a ganglion cyst and did the book trick, it does work but does hurt. Eventually i had surgery to excise the cyst and it has not returned. Unsure of the garage surgery idea as infection is not a good thing.

• 1 month later...

Hey Handbalancer! Yes, it was Cory Tabino, ha ha. Sorry for replying that long after the initial post. Thanks for your answer. I went to see a physiotherapist for an other injury, she also checked my wrists and said she could give me a recommandation for a good plastic surgeon when the time comes. Otherwise, I can still deal with it at the moment.

And Scottmo, thanks for replying too, but it's not ganglion cysts at all, it's definitely bones. I tried to smash it with a big book, a few months ago, just to make sure. I was already pretty sure it was a bone outgrowth anyways.

Tim Webber

I just found this thread now but I have had a ganglion on the dorsal side of my left wrist for at least a year or so and I was initially planning on giving it time to disappear on it own as it did for a friend of mine I train with but in the last month or so it started to hurt more than normal when I put too much extension through the wrist so I went to see a doctor and he gave me a referral to use with in the year to have "ultrasound guided drainage and steroid injection." He also said that I could also just wait it out and see if it sorts its self out eventually which I will do for at least the next short while