Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Wrist Twister and rollers

John Dalton

John Dalton

Hi

I've had this pain in my right wrist for more than a year now. I've tried laying off from training for months, massage, heat treatment and other methods but the pain won't go away completely. Do you think wrist twisters and rollers, such as the ones from Ironmind, are useful for balancing the strength in the wrist pronators, supinators, flexors and extensors?

Rik de Kort

It sounds like you haven't seen a physical therapist.

Go see one, he'll be able to diagnose and give you a good treatment.

Nic Branson

You've been in pain a long time and with rest it does not seem to have alleviated. See a doctor for hands on diagnosis. Injury is potentially to old or to severe to help over the internet.

John Dalton

I will meet a doctor. But i believe i have not explained my problem properly.

When i think about it, i was hurt only six months ago in the first week of November ( but since it was somewhere in 2011 and now we are in the middle of 2012, i thought it was about an year). A sharp pain in my elbow and wrist started when I tried to progress too fast with the straight bar BL and PL progressions. I rested till the end of november and then was again overly enthusiastic with my BL and PL and daily HS training .

This continued till the pain increased again and I rested throughout February. (when i mean "rested" it was a rest from GB static work and i kept going on with my usual FBE, and dumbbell work as they did not hurt my wrist and elbow). After my february rest, the pain had decreased a lot and I decided it was better to take it much slower and start all over again with the FSP pre-requisites. When I look from the time of my injury to the present, I have gained a lot of strength in all my exercises.

The pain has decreased a lot and i feel a slight soreness in tendon on the back of my elbow when i hold the adv. tuck BL.

I was wondering if you could arm my knowledge about strengthening the forearms for future BL and PL work and the forearm muscles mainly used in the BL and PL. i have never performed any direct forearm or bicep exercises in my life other than the EZ bar curl and the barbell curl and i have never performed them ever since i left the gym in february 2011.

Nic Branson

Ah ok. Spend some time working on your extensions. Reverse (palm down) wrist curls and reverse bicep curls. A wrist roller would work as well but be strict don't go super crazy on weight to the point you get a lot of arm involvement. Go for moderate to high reps to start.