Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is this how it's supposed to be

Guest Ragnarok

Guest Ragnarok
How long do you spend between sets of exercise 1? 4 minutes plus the time it takes to do exercise 2. Look familiar? That's strength work. This is simply a way to get more done in the same block of time.

Yeah, I was afraid it wasn't going to be like that because I really like doing those kinds of supersets.

As opposed to not being hollow and using even small amounts of stretch reflex or momentum. This is just one example of a tempo. You should be able to perform 1-2 perfect reps with 5s down, 5s up for full ROM without losing form at all, AND you should be able to perform 3-5 reps with 2s down, 2s up and same form requirements. They are very different, but both are difficult and build a lot of muscle. Even small corrections make a big difference.

Ok.

Thanks for the answers, i get it now.

I was thinking if you could look at another thread i made here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9060

I'd just like to know how would it be best to go about training strength and size at the same time...

Joshua Naterman
How long do you spend between sets of exercise 1? 4 minutes plus the time it takes to do exercise 2. Look familiar? That's strength work. This is simply a way to get more done in the same block of time.

Yeah, I was afraid it wasn't going to be like that because I really like doing those kinds of supersets.

As opposed to not being hollow and using even small amounts of stretch reflex or momentum. This is just one example of a tempo. You should be able to perform 1-2 perfect reps with 5s down, 5s up for full ROM without losing form at all, AND you should be able to perform 3-5 reps with 2s down, 2s up and same form requirements. They are very different, but both are difficult and build a lot of muscle. Even small corrections make a big difference.

Ok.

Thanks for the answers, i get it now.

I was thinking if you could look at another thread i made here: http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewto ... =18&t=9060

I'd just like to know how would it be best to go about training strength and size at the same time...

Strength and size have a lot to do with each other, so as you get stronger you will get bigger. If you were going to focus on both, you could either have one workout per week focused on each goal OR you could have hybrid workouts where the last warm up set or first work set is more geared towards strength while the vast majority of that workout is geared towards strength endurance (that's your "hypertrophy specific" training style) and then the next workout is reversed: The majority of that workout is for strength, but the first set is more of a strength endurance set. Or, the last set could be strength endurance... that would depend on what you feel works best.

Guest Ragnarok
Strength and size have a lot to do with each other, so as you get stronger you will get bigger. If you were going to focus on both, you could either have one workout per week focused on each goal OR you could have hybrid workouts where the last warm up set or first work set is more geared towards strength while the vast majority of that workout is geared towards strength endurance (that's your "hypertrophy specific" training style) and then the next workout is reversed: The majority of that workout is for strength, but the first set is more of a strength endurance set. Or, the last set could be strength endurance... that would depend on what you feel works best.

One workout per week for each? Only 2 days a week? Won't this result in de-training?

Joshua Naterman

You can train more often than that, just saying that you will want to have a dedicated day for each at least once per week. The other days can be more of fun days for you, if you want.

I wouldn't suggest less than 3 days per week total.

Guest Ragnarok
You can train more often than that, just saying that you will want to have a dedicated day for each at least once per week. The other days can be more of fun days for you, if you want.

What are fun days?

Joshua Naterman

What are fun days?

Just what it sounds like, days when you maybe do other training that isn't directly related to those goals. You may want to be stricter and follow the ABAB program, I don' t know :) The most important thing is that you have a dedicated goal for your workouts at least once per week per goal. Perhaps your goal is still strength but you decide to bench press, for example. That could be a fun day, if you like benching.

Rik de Kort

Skill work, mostly. Playing around on the rings, the pbars, the floor, whatever. Just make sure it isn't too taxing.