Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

relationship between weigthed exercises and isometrich hold

Alessandro Mainente

Alessandro Mainente

anyone know relationship between isometrich holds and some weigthed exercises?

for example i noticed in my case that at the 175%-180% of bodyweigth pullup i can hold a front lever for 3-5 seconds..

for the planche there is a relationship with dip or benchpress?

Rik de Kort

The planche is a technical movement as well as a strength movement, since it requires a lot of balance. It's also very heavy on the joints (just ask Joshua about his elbows). The front lever, on the other hand, is pretty much a pure strength movement.

It would be very unwise to attempt to train for a planche without actually focussing on the planche progressions because you need your joints to adapt.

However, dips are said to have moderately good carryover.

Michael Miskelly

I dont think there is any real way to tell because it will be different from person to person. There will be people out there who maybe cant do that much of a weighted pull up but have a solid front lever and vice-versa just due to leverages and weight/height etc.

I'm guessing you trained specifically for front lever via the progressions and not just through weighted pull ups? Do you think if you had just worked weighted pull ups that your front lever would be where it is now?

Philip Chubb

Front Lever isn't really THAT low leverage. I've heard of a good number of people getting results in it by doing weighted pull ups. A lot of wrestlers and rock climbers also tend to start out ahead.

Planche is a different story. I have seen people start ahead in it from having really strong dips. Myself included. But not near as far.

I remember reading from Steven Low that people who can hold a straddle planche could usually do a 2x bodyweight dip. Haven't you already achieved the full planche and I remember that you said you can bench somewhere in the mid 300's in lbs in one of Ashita's threads?

I also think you are right about the front lever being at the level where you can do close to a 2x bodyweight pull-up and about the same for the OAC. Steven Low also wrote somewhere that he noticed people who can do 3 OACs on each arm can typically hold a brief iron cross.

How about back lever and the human flag, anyone know how much correlation it has with other relevant weighted exercises?

Rik de Kort
I remember reading from Steven Low that people who can hold a straddle planche could usually do a 2x bodyweight dip. Haven't you already achieved the full planche and I remember that you said you can bench somewhere in the mid 300's in lbs in one of Ashita's threads?

I also think you are right about the front lever being at the level where you can do close to a 2x bodyweight pull-up and about the same for the OAC. Steven Low also wrote somewhere that he noticed people who can do 3 OACs on each arm can typically hold a brief iron cross.

How about back lever and the human flag, anyone know how much correlation it has with other relevant weighted exercises?

From Steven Low:

- Full FL: ~70-80% bodyweight pullup

- OAC: ~80-90% bodyweight pullup

- 3 OACs: OAC+15 lbs and a 3-4s iron cross hold

However, Steven also remarked that this is in terms of pure strength. If you can perform OACs, that does not mean your connective tissues are up to the task. In particular the biceps during the iron cross, which gets put under a huge amount of strain because the elbow is maximally extended and this isn't a part of the OAC, which typically starts with a slightly flexed elbow. So don't try to train for cross by doing OACs. It's stupid.

From Steven Low:

- Full FL: ~70-80% bodyweight pullup

- OAC: ~80-90% bodyweight pullup

- 3 OACs: OAC+15 lbs and a 3-4s iron cross hold

However, Steven also remarked that this is in terms of pure strength. If you can perform OACs, that does not mean your connective tissues are up to the task. In particular the biceps during the iron cross, which gets put under a huge amount of strain because the elbow is maximally extended and this isn't a part of the OAC, which typically starts with a slightly flexed elbow. So don't try to train for cross by doing OACs. It's stupid.

Yeah I'm pretty sure the 3 OACs correlation to the iron cross would be the pulling strength (lats) and not elbow conditioning (OACs aren't biceps intensive anyways). I would not advise anyone who can do OACs to try the iron cross if they do not have sufficient elbow tendon conditioning too, but I do feel people with strong bicep curls get a head start in the straight arm statics and exercises.

Regarding OACs starting with a slightly flexed elbow, it should actually start with an extended elbow (locked) from deadhang. The reason people might start with a slightly flexed elbow maybe because they find it hard to pull from extended elbows due to insufficient strength.

Coach Sommer
I remember reading from Steven Low that people who can hold a straddle planche could usually do a 2x bodyweight dip.

Nonsense.

There are thousands of athletes around the planet who have a straddle planche and have never done a weighted dip in their life. Please be more careful who you listen to and make sure that the individual involved is an actual expert.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Rik de Kort
I remember reading from Steven Low that people who can hold a straddle planche could usually do a 2x bodyweight dip.

Nonsense.

There are thousands of athletes around the planet who have a straddle planche and have never done a weighted dip in their life. Please be more careful who you listen to and make sure that the individual involved is an actual expert.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Sorry Coach, but I think you misread. A straddle planche has about the same strength requirements as a 2x bodyweight dip. In other words, if you acquire the straddle planche, you may be able to dip 2x bodyweight (I think that's 1x bodyweight added), but that does not necessarily mean you have to train weighted dips to attain a planche. That would be ridiculous.

Nonsense.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

I have no doubt that you are the actual expert Coach Sommer and I take your advice more importantly, but I think Steven just meant that athletes who can do a straddle planche can usually dip 2x bodyweight in an attempt. I don't think he means a 2x bodyweight dip is required to get the straddle planche.

Coach Sommer

Again this is merely supposition on Steven's part and, while it makes for entertaining reading, contributes little to actual training progress.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer