Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Suggested stretches for Pike and Splits?

newguy5000

over the years i have learned i only stick with something if i start small, do something consistently for a while and then add more after i have integrated it into my lifestyle / routine.

With this in mind - What are THREE stretches that would help me begin my journey towards side splits and Pike position with straight legs? i say 3 as i would like to begin with only 3 stretches and be consistant first.

For the last 4 weeks i have been doing two stretches every evening. 5 - 6 days a week.

1. Pike stretch on ground (staff position). I put my lower back against the wall and do some isometric hold / relax for awhile. Then i do some passive work just sitting there trying to relax and move a bit more forward when i feel the release kick in.

2. Straddle stretch legs up on the wall. I place my ass against the wall and stick my legs up into the air on it and move my legs into a straddle. Isometric contract / release and slowly work down to the limits of my flexability. Again when i am near the reach of it i sit in it passively for awhile trying to get a bit further release.

That's what i have been doing so far and i am certainly getting gains. Just wondering if those are good stretches to use and if i need a third?

any advice / feedback appreciated. Its like a slow war on my hamstrings.

Aaron Griffin

I find it's easy to over-use the lower back on the ground pike stretch, and have recently starting using the inverted pike - back on the ground, lift the legs up (keeping the lower back as flat as you can) and pull the legs towards your head

Erik Sjolin

Some good ones I used for pike flexibility are weighted pike stretches, starting with bent knees with your stomach on your legs and slowly raise (there's probably a shorter name for that), or half pikes (once again, not sure on the name).

Weighted pike is self explanatory, and Coach has an essay for it somewhere on the forums. Hold a 25lb plate (I used 45s), stand on a bench and let yourself be pulled down. Problem is, if you don't have good form it'll hinder more than help.

The second one is pretty good because it introduces your upper half to the final position while scaling what your legs do. You just have to remember to always maintain perfect form, or else you'll be stretching your lower back more than your legs.

The third is only going down halfway so your back is parallel to the ground and attempting to roll your hips back so your tailbone is pointing at the ceiling. Obviously it won't be, but it's the feeling you should be striving for.

Most importantly, don't go too far. I'm sure you know this already, but it bears repeating; if you stretch too hard (or the wrong way), you'll get hurt. Take it from someone who's achieved the majority of his injuries this way.

Good luck! :D

related to taking it slowly.....

when i do stretches for side splits my flexability seems limited by a tendon or something the runs into my knee. I move down to a range where this tensions runs up into the insertion there and i don't push it all because i dont want to hurt myself. SO just taking it slowly but surely. But just wondering if its normal to feel that tension there. it doesn't hurt or anything, just that is the place of tension at the out range of my flexability.

• 2 weeks later...
Josh Schmitter

viewtopic.php?p=2121#2121 -Coach talking about the tail arch in pike

viewtopic.php?p=1126#1126 -Weighted Pike

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2895 -Random split tips

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4710&hilit=shoulder+inlocate -Lots of good pike info here

Hopefully someone on this thread hasn't seen at least one of those yet. Honestly I just wanted a valid way to get this into my post folder so I don't miss any updates :).

when i do stretches for side splits my flexability seems limited by a tendon or something the runs into my knee. I move down to a range where this tensions runs up into the insertion there and i don't push it all because i dont want to hurt myself.

I have exactly the same.

Pike stretch assistance - One of the best I know of for those who can't yet flex the hips past 90 degrees is Wall Dog.

In this you stand near a wall bend forward with straight arms, straight to slightly arched body, feet any amount further from the wall than your hips. The hands should be about hip height but under no circumstance go so low that you round the lower back.

In this position try to slide your butt back while slightly rotating the tailbone upward, in a way the stretches the hamstrings.

I have a reasonable pike, but still like to do this or variations on it to warm up, or if I'm feeling stiff.

Side Split Knee -

There are too many variables for me to comment without seeing what you are doing, but in general you don't want a lot of pressure there. If it's what i'm thinking of at least, you are using the lower leg as a lever and it's putting a side bending force on the knee, generally not the best thing.

If it's not due to that, then back off just a little until the pressure is off the knee and try again, think you are stretching from the groin, move the stretch there. I may also help to play with the angle you hold your legs at or your hips. Never adjust this under tension (not in the beginning at least) back out, change angle and go in again.

Experiment with different angles in all of these stretches, standing sitting, on your back. Also with split different angles in of legs and hips.

you are using the lower leg as a lever and it's putting a side bending force on the knee, generally not the best thing.

think you are stretching from the groin, move the stretch there.

Thanks Cole, got to move the strech to the groin. Just have to figure out a good way.

• The 3 stretches:
    [*:2zphl42t]Low Lunge - really the "go-to" stretch. Lots of great variations (including gecko).
    [*:2zphl42t]Weighted Pike - agree with the above on this.
    [*:2zphl42t]Half Split - great for that behind the knee tendon stretch.

newguy5000

I have one question about weighted pike stretch. I searched other threads but couldn't find the answer to my question.

When doing the weighted pike should i be relaxing the lower back or bracing it with tension?

Cole Dano

That's going to depend in part on your current flexibility.If your not able to touch your toes with a flat back then, you will need to brace the lower back more and focus on getting the hips to flex more.

If you are already quite flexible either is fine and both have their place.

newguy5000

definitely not touching my toes with a flat back. i'll try and work the hip more. thanks again.

newguy5000

Just an update for those that might come across this thread later and be interested.

I have found the Weighted Pike Stretch to be amazing. I have also found Cole's advice to use a flat back until your at least paralell with flexbility a really good one. I seem to be getting better gains like this than just using a rounded back straight away.

I do both and they seem to deliver great benefits in tandem.