Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Rib flare during handstand?

RatioFitness

RatioFitness

Should you let the ribs flare out when doing a handstand?

Seems like you shouldn't as rib flare allows you to substitute for shoulder extension, but I don't know what's considered proper here.

You really have to get after the rib flare from the get go, otherwise you will have a very, very hard time unlearning it later.

Another lesson I learned the hard way.

Philip Chubb
You really have to get after the rib flare from the get go, otherwise you will have a very, very hard time unlearning it later.

Really? I always found as I opened my shoulders and made my line straight, that my ribs come in. Or it could be that my ribs come in because I'm working my line and not the other way around.

Brendan Coad

Really? I always found as I opened my shoulders and made my line straight, that my ribs come in. Or it could be that my ribs come in because I'm working my line and not the other way around.

I have the same experience as Cole if I am understanding correctly. Its been a difficult process for me to unlearn because the line is straightening but to me it seems like a different body orientation. A simplification is that all the work that went in to learning the position was "wrong" for me.

I'm facing a similar problem... I'm curious as to what drills you guys used to "unlearn" this?

I'm guessing stomach to wall handstands?