Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Knee issue: medial knee pain, sometimes even while resting

Joel Holmqvist

Joel Holmqvist

I have gotten the impression that knee issues are quite uncommon in gymnastics. However, this forum seem to contain impressive amounts of knowledge, so I would like to ask a question here. I am aware of the fact that the best answer to my problem probably is "find yourself a practitioner", trust me, I will.

Long story short:

>2 years ago: I could run for >2 hours without experiencing knee problems.

~2 years ago: Knee trauma. Got hit on left knee, lateral side.

Since then: Medial knee pain.

Now you probably think "ah, internal knee problem, meniscus", however, I am not sure it is that simple. I went to a (new and young...) physiotherapist which performed all those tests I learned myself during my medical education (MD). She came to the conclusion that I "did not have a knee problem". At the time, in my opinion, she was wrong, I clearly had a knee problem, or I would not have visited her.

But back home I went! I could not run due to pain, and, due to the weather, I could not bike. At the time, I did not have equipment for Gymnastic Strength Training™, and, I had realized that I was extremely inflexible, something I at the time did not know how to handle.

Time went by. I tried Ashtanga yoga. In my practice, I realized that my left leg was rotated inwardly. This fascinated me. I also realized that my pelvis was tilted forward (probably due to hyperlordosis!). It took me a few months, but I managed to become more symmetrical and move towards a more "natural" and balanced posture.

At this time, I found out about Vibram Fivefingers and tried barefoot running. I had to start really slow and short, but, it was possible to build to longer distances. I could feel muscles in my legs which I had never felt before, and run without pain! (And, my toes have been waking up! :mrgreen: )

Right now I need regular yoga training. Without it, my knee problem is coming back. I have never felt any pain during biking. I rarely fell anything during barefoot running. However - I do sometimes feel this problem while at rest!? :shock: During rest, it is not felt as pain, but rather as a slight discomfort.

When I walk in stairs, I sometimes feel something at the back of my knee, the medial side. It is felt like a "snap". There seem to be multiple possible reasons for this.

Finally, I also have what I believe is crepitus in my left knee. I can only feel this when extending from fully flexed position under tension - something I try to avoid.

I am very weak. And, I still believe myself to be asymmetrically stiff. I will visit another more competent physiotherapist, he will hopefully be able to give me my final verdict, but, since many of you guys seem to be quite good at these things, I thought I would try posting this message here.

What do you think that I need to do?

I would like to be able to do full single leg squats with both my legs, right now I do not dare to try with my left...

Nic Branson

Where are you located?

I don't want to go into any ideas on what seems a complex issue. Could be internal, also looks to have a movement dysfunction, possibly ankle, hip....but without being able to evaluate it is impossible to know..with your location I might be able to recommend somebody.

Joel Holmqvist

I live in Scandinavia.

Today, I was able to catch a physiotherapist at work. I explained the above and added the fact that I sometimes feel like I am "dropping" my pelvis. If seen from above, I would believe it to be rotated counterclockwise. He tested my oblique abdominal muscles and my gluteal muscles - my left side was weaker than my right side.

My idea is that I am unable to stabilize my body due to core weakness. This could be stressing my knee. I will try to find appropriate exercises in order to strengthen these muscles while looking for a more specialized physiotherapist.