Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

WOD's really enough?

Sandow9.0

Hello,

New here and, I have a question as to whether Coach Sommer's wod is enough to build a gymnast's body and all around relative strength? What I mean is will following the wod's as desceibe and to my current strength levels will I be able to develop the freaky bodyweight strength that Coach Sommer's and other gymnast's possess? Which are my main goals right now. The reason I ask this is because I know that gymnasts do alot of skil work that take alot of strength as well as their strength and conditioning program. So any way is the gymnastic wod enough to develop this strength without doing all the extrea skill training that gymnasts do.

Thank You all answer's are much appriecated.

• Upvote 1

Quick Start Test Smith

I could be wrong but most of the WODs take about 30-45 minutes, no more. If you spent 45 minutes working on FSPs before the WOD, you would probably do very well. The FSPs are kind of an assumed part of the WOD.

Joshua Naterman

The WODs are the entire strength and conditioning program for Coach's guys.

Of course they are doing other things, but in Coach's gym the skill work is well within each athlete's strength capacity. The skill work is not strength work. It is more like playing, but heavily focused on perfecting form instead of just having fun.

Since we aren't competitive gymnasts, we can just go play instead. Do cartwheels and round offs, jump around (but not at max capacity), practice forward and backward rolls, dive rolls, and some moderately easy band or free weight work that takes you through a nice dynamic ROM in many areas.

Some broad jumps, some proper cartwheels, some light cleans and/or snatches with a bar or dumbbells or kettlebells, some light-ish kettlebell swings, some bent presses, some windmills/triangle presses, some light supinated shoulder presses to emulate RTO HSPU, some light pulldowns or maybe a random pull up here or there, travel the monkey bars, etc. PLAY. Have fun. Do a less structured version of what gymnastics puts strict structure around: MOVE!

And remember: These kids start off young. Dillon, when he started at 15, was totally unable to keep up with the guys who were around him for quite a while and THAT was in the middle of puberty when his body was at its hormonal peak. That is also part of why he has gained so much strength in so short a period of time. The other part is that he followed a structured, balanced and progressive training plan. That would be the WODs.

Considering that muscle mass comes 2-3x slower, without drugs, at my age (30)than at his age (currently 19 or 20, can't remember) it is important to expect to be able to add work capacity at a slower rate than a teenager even with perfect nutrition. Small, steady steps instead of large bold steps forward will get you what you want in this regard, and build the same kind of work capacity that you would see in competitive gymnasts after a few years (assuming you want to take it that far... it would require a similar amount of training time).

Coach Sommer

The GB WODs are appropriate for someone up to an intermediate level of strength. Once you are more advanced, then of course more advanced programming will be necessary.

However as none of you are yet advanced ... :)

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Quick Start Test Smith
The GB WODs are appropriate for someone up to an intermediate level of strength. Once you are more advanced, then of course more advanced programming will be necessary.

However as none of you are yet advanced ... :)

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Hahaha :D

Joshua Naterman
Awesome, lol. It's nice to have someone like Coach kick your ego in the crotch and keep you in check :) Always need to know your true place until you ascend in the ranks.

Yes! It is hard to think of straddle planche push ups as belonging to the "intermediate" range, but there it is. BtGB literally has everything, strengthwise, up through the upper range of intermediate work, so consider that until we all have solid (10+second) straddle planches and straddle planche push ups, straight arm HS press, full lay FL and at least straddle FL rows, full lay Yewkis and reverse yewkis, full range freestanding HSPU,, full lay back pulls and front pulls, and reverse MU we are not topping out of the intermediate range. Of course this includes the FSP work as well, up to 30s straddle L, 30s advanced L, etc.

I'm not quite sure what the EXACT criteria are, but it is probably quite fair to say that the above represents a portion of the intermediate-advanced strength border.

Philip Chubb
Awesome, lol. It's nice to have someone like Coach kick your ego in the crotch and keep you in check :) Always need to know your true place until you ascend in the ranks.

Yes! It is hard to think of straddle planche push ups as belonging to the "intermediate" range, but there it is. BtGB literally has everything, strengthwise, up through the upper range of intermediate work, so consider that until we all have solid (10+second) straddle planches and straddle planche push ups, straight arm HS press, full lay FL and at least straddle FL rows, full lay Yewkis and reverse yewkis, full range freestanding HSPU,, full lay back pulls and front pulls, and reverse MU we are not topping out of the intermediate range. Of course this includes the FSP work as well, up to 30s straddle L, 30s advanced L, etc.

I'm not quite sure what the EXACT criteria are, but it is probably quite fair to say that the above represents a portion of the intermediate-advanced strength border.

:mrgreen: