Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

One Arm Pullup

CalisthenicGod

CalisthenicGod

Hello,

I really want to hear Coach's answer on which OAC grip works the posterior deltoids more (to help keep shoulders healthy). Pronated or Supinated? Is OAC work alone enough to keep the posterior deltoids balanced with the anterior deltoids (If you're only doing handstand push-ups and one-arm push-ups)?

Contributions from everyone else is also very much appreciated.

Nic Branson

This question has been done several times now if I am remembering correctly here, recently in fact.

CalisthenicGod

Yes, although I would really like Coach's personal opinion on this despite everyone else being of significant help

Rafael David

I think that you'll have health shoulders if you work on antagonists: OAC+HSPU / planche push ups + front lever rows.

Joshua Naterman
Yes, although I would really like Coach's personal opinion on this despite everyone else being of significant help

Try to remember that Coach

A) Has a family

B) Coaches athletes at a national level

C) Spends a ton of time on development of this website and future publications

and that together this might mean that he doesn't want to start answering everyone's questions about what his personal opinion is regarding OAC grips and posterior delt activation.

I answer, and others answer, because this kind of question is pretty close to the bottom of the priority list. OAC work is not a massive part of a gymnast's conditioning work, it is a small piece in an ocean of other small pieces that come together to fashion a powerful body. It really doesn't matter which grip does what because they ALL do different things and you need them all. I am tired of answering this question, I can understand why Coach doesn't bother. It doesn't matter and isn't worth the time I just spent.

If that doesn't make sense to you, I don't know how to get across to you that national level coaches don't spend their time answering questions about which grip works posterior deltoids the most because then they wouldn't have time to coach their teams or in this case focus on writing books or living their life. Posterior deltoid? That's what your prehab is for. Jesus.

Joshua Naterman

Indeed. I can't help but be irritated at that kind of question/statement...

I said it before and I almost got banned for saying it but let me say it one more time, if you truly want to build your posterior deltoids, you gotta isolate the muscle and do the exercise that actually builds that muscle, like back fly with machines or dumbells, and with SMALL weights, because if you start adding weights you will be using mainly your traps and you won't isolate the rear delts. However If your main goal is OAC with the added benefit of working out your rear delts, then I have nothing to say, either grip is fine.

Joshua Naterman
I said it before and I almost got banned for saying it but let me say it one more time, if you truly want to build your posterior deltoids, you gotta isolate the muscle and do the exercise that actually builds that muscle, like back fly with machines or dumbells, and with SMALL weights, because if you start adding weights you will be using mainly your traps and you won't isolate the rear delts. However If your main goal is OAC with the added benefit of working out your rear delts, then I have nothing to say, either grip is fine.

Yes, and the key is to keep FULL retraction from the start to the finish. Otherwise, like you say, the traps just do too much of the work. I prefer dumbbell work to machines, personally.