Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dip and Pushup FBE Progression not in book

Tyler Schmitz

Tyler Schmitz

I have a question regarding a couple of progressions that aren't mentioned in BtGB book. One, I think is called the "Cross Dip". Coach had it on a WOD a while back. It's an XR bulgarian dip in which one arm stays straight on the way down and up while the other is bent. It is definitely a progression toward doing a cross; however, I'm not sure the progression difficulty of it after the XR bulgarian dip. Another FBE is similar to the Cross dip, only you are horizontal in a pushup position and both arms stay straight on the way down and up. I'm not sure the name of it. Again, where would this progression difficulty be in the pushup FBEs? Thanks guys

Tyler Schmitz

Yes, the ring flies is the pushup progression I was speaking of. I can easily perform 5 of these. I was just wondering where exactly would the difficulty fall in the pushup FBEs in the book. However, the cross dips were not in the video. They resemble the Archer pushup, only it's a dip variation, not a pushup. The difficulty seems like it'd be right after the XR Bulgarian Dip variation but I'm not positive.

Ring fies should be done with straight arms as an early progression for crosses. They aren't really an FBE as they are not a bent arm movement or basic strength variant of a lever or plan he.

Archer pullups and pushups are the same case for "beginning" advanced straight arm strength progressions. Same with the dips.

Some tin to do when you can do all the basics.

Coach Sommer

They are not included in BtGB for a very good reason; they are not appropriate for beginners.

Both of these variations involve stress on the brachialis and should NOT be included in a program for beginners building basic strength as the risk of elbow tendonitis is quite high without establishing an adequate physical foundation beforehand.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Redwan Haque
They are not included in BtGB for a very good reason; they are not appropriate for beginners.

Both of these variations involve stress on the brachialis and should NOT be included in a program for beginners building basic strength as the risk of elbow tendonitis is quite high without establishing an adequate physical foundation beforehand.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Coach,

What kind of prerequisites would you recommend before attempting Ring Flyes?

I recently came across them and tried them out for a couple of weeks - I can only do them with locked arms on my knees (no pike!).

I found it somewhat helped me get more comfortable leaning further forward on my tuck planches.

Would you recommend I continue them at a low volume or drop them altogether and just continue planche work as outlined in the book?

Coach Sommer
Would you recommend I continue them at a low volume or drop them altogether and just continue planche work as outlined in the book?

At this point in your training, I recommend that you drop them altogether. By prematurely attempting these type of elements, you are drastically increasing your chances of injury.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer