Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hollow Hold advice

newguy5000

I've been doing the Hollow Hold for about two months now 4 - 7 days a week. It still kicks my ass, but i went from being able to hold it with arms over my head for 3 x 20sec to 3 x 60sec.

My feet are currently about 1 metre of the ground if i am doing 3 sets. If i do 1 set only on (i do maintenance of 1 set on weekends) my feet are very low to the ground and the position is more 'open'.

My question is twofold.

1. How 'open' does the position progress? i.e is the ultimate aim to to have both hands and feet just slightly of the ground with lower back pressed against floor? I can do this for about 40 seconds but even though i can't stick a hand under my lower back it feels like it's not quite completely flat.

2. When should i move the Hollow Hold to 1 x 60? I can complete 3 x 60 with feet about 1 metre or a bit less off the ground. but should i continue at 3 x 60 until i can get the feet a bit lower?

Thanks for any advice.

Joshua Naterman

You should keep 3x60 until you are fully open. Eventually other straight body work is in your workout and hollow hold gets reduced to 1x60 for warm up, but once you are fully open it's time for hollow rocks!

Thanks man. Guess I have a lot more time at this progression than i realised. probably another two months away to hit that point. I am getting a lot of strength gains in my core though - Hollow Hold is like the gift that keeps on giving.

I even found Planks hard once i realised i was doing them wrong. When you extend your shoulder up it makes it a lot harder.

I've injured myself too much to rush now though, it takes as long as it takes to get the positions with proper form.

On an unrelated note i came across your youtube video of the difference between Front pulls and Front Lever Pulls. I had a good laugh at it. I was thinking where is this guy going to hang from? then you jump up and grab the rail near the ceiling and that chick that walks by gets freaked out as she dodges your legs.

Thanks for the advice as always Josh.

Joshua Naterman
Thanks man. Guess I have a lot more time at this progression than i realised. probably another two months away to hit that point. I am getting a lot of strength gains in my core though - Hollow Hold is like the gift that keeps on giving.

I even found Planks hard once i realised i was doing them wrong. When you extend your shoulder up it makes it a lot harder.

I've injured myself too much to rush now though, it takes as long as it takes to get the positions with proper form.

On an unrelated note i came across your youtube video of the difference between Front pulls and Front Lever Pulls. I had a good laugh at it. I was thinking where is this guy going to hang from? then you jump up and grab the rail near the ceiling and that chick that walks by gets freaked out as she dodges your legs.

Thanks for the advice as always Josh.

Hahahaha, yes... that was a fun video. My first video for this place, actually! I miss that gym, I mean those i-beams were great. Now it's a jujitsu place, but far too expensive for me!

Anyhow, the hollow hold truly is the gift that keeps on giving. There is not one other position that enhances so many other aspects of fitness and athletic capability... not even a close second. Don't feel bad about staying with the basics for a really long time, that actually puts you ahead of the game. I'm doing really basic stuff right now and seeing very good gains as well as good rehab.

Planks and push ups are significantly more difficult when you force yourself to use the correct position... you realize how much more strength it takes to do push ups with a true hollow than even a slight bend in the back near the bottom of the rep. Massive difference.

Similar with dips, really... especially if you are used to arched back dips.

I am finding that going all the way back to focusing on the 60s hangs and just turning them into L hangs with bent legs is working fantastically well for me... helps with flexibility and strength at the same time. I still do rows and whatnot, mostly with the piece of rope I have, but going back to the basics really pays off.

I am finding that going all the way back to focusing on the 60s hangs and just turning them into L hangs with bent legs is working fantastically well for me...

Are you referring to the dead hang with shoulders relaxed? If so do you do your L-hang work with relaxed or packed shoulders?

Thanks in advance for any replies :)

Joshua Naterman

You have to relax your traps and lats, but not the deltoids or rotator cuff muscles. Don't worry, that takes care of itself. You want full scapular elevation but you don't want the arms to dislocate out of the shoulder socket. Your body will usually handle that all on its own unless you have prior injuries that cause you to sublux or dislocate regularly, and that requires some long term rehab to get under control. If this is anyone reading, you know who you are.