Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

OAC Grip Question

CalisthenicGod

CalisthenicGod

Hello,

Question about OAC grip. As far as I know there is pronated and supinated and neutral, however my focus will be on pronated and supinated.

Which grip works the posterior deltoids more in an OAC? Pronated or Supinated? Which grip style will lead to better back development and shoulder balance?

Is OAC work enough for posterior deltoid balance?

Joshua Naterman
up and down motion will not trigger posterior deltoid, for that you need body row.

I'm not sure if your typing privileges should be revoked or not...

Ignore this particular post by seiyafan entirely.

Body rows are necessary, but that's a bit different. The posterior deltoids will work in all pulls regardless of plane unless you are doing it completely wrong.

Because of the angles involved, body rows will be more limited by deltoids than pull ups (whether one arm or two arm)typically are.

Edit: Just to be clear, I'm being a little bit silly with that first sentence seiyafan! I remember more than a few times when my friends "revoked my speaking priviledges" in high school :)

CalisthenicGod

Thanks for the reply Josh,

Would you say OAC work is enough to keep the posterior deltoids in balance with the anterior deltoids if all you are doing in terms of horizontal pressing is One Arm Push-ups?

Which OAC grip is superior in your opinion? Pronated or Supinated?

Joshua Naterman
Thanks for the reply Josh,

Would you say OAC work is enough to keep the posterior deltoids in balance with the anterior deltoids if all you are doing in terms of horizontal pressing is One Arm Push-ups?

Which OAC grip is superior in your opinion? Pronated or Supinated?

Honestly, probably not the perfect strategy. I don't know if that would be enough, but incorporating body rows is a really good idea just to keep the traps and rear delts working well together. There's more to be concerned with than individual muscle balance, you know? Activation patterns and antagonistic strength is just as important.

Even with the above recommendations, it depends heavily on HOW you perform the exercises. Poor form won't do what it should! Nothing wrong with some extra dumbbell work to make sure posterior delts don't fall behind.

Joshua Naterman

Yes. Rear delts still work very hard, they are simply not the prime movers. They hold the joint in place throughout the movement and provide some additional force. Don't mistake that for "posterior delts don't work" or "aren't worked hard." The statement that the rear delts aren't used much during an overhand or "pull up grip" is highly dependent on form. If you do them like I do them, with a fair amount of scapular retraction happening during the pull, you feel the delts just like you feel everything else and you get stronger from the movement. If you are too weak in the posterior delts to perform the movement with them doing their proper job in a full ROM you will need to start off with strong range work and perhaps some assisted work to go along with your normal pull ups. This will help you get rid of the compensation pattern. It is very hard to make the rear delts work properly if you aren't keeping the body hollow during the pull up, as this takes the rear delts out of the direct line of pull. As always, exercise form is critical for proper strength to develop.